Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: flynbrian48's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View flynbrian48's profile Entries: 253
Views: 85082
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (51): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

01-23-2008 08:15 PM OOPS!
Didn't mean to add the same photo twice! As long as I'm editing, I'll add that I hope to have engine out this weekend and torn down. I'm ordering a cam from one of the Cadillac performance guys, who were pretty helpful with some advice on the build plan. I'm using a rather mild cam, light porting and clean up of the bowls, port matching etc, along with the stock intake. Sort of a home spun "blueprint". This should make the old Cad belt out around 400 hp, which should be way too much! You know what they say, if a little's good, too much isn't enough!

Anyway, it's coming nicely. It did occur to me that if I'd stuck with the "Rat Rod" theme I was initially gonna do that I'd be plumbing brake lines and wiring it right now, and be almost done. I think the extra little bit of work and effort to finish the car will be rewarding and well worth the effort. Nothing against that style, it's just not me.

Brian

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #43]

01-23-2008 08:11 PM Fordillac Deconstructed
Third times the charm, so they say, this is the third time I've tried tonight to update my journal. Busy place, this server.

Anyway, got the body off and on a borrowed body dolly. Today mounted the steering box (it had been clamped on with some giant C clamps before), and heated and bent the steering arms ever so slightly to raise the tie rod up off the springs. Had to do that to get enough castor for the front axle. Also moved my rear hangers for the front springs back and down, thus raising the front end just enough that the axle doesn't bottom out on the crossmember, and the shackles won't go over center.

Made a really neat job of building a new alternator bracket to move it to the drivers side of the engine. It didn't fit where it was located as stock, hit the hood side. I'm happy with that, and built a wicked cool looking "V" shaped spreader bar for the front frame horns from some 1 1/4 DOM tubing I had left over. Big improvenment, as I tapered the frame horns down to the tubing and blended it all in together. Also added another crossmember under the rear of the engine, I was concerned about the frame twisting, this should do the trick.

All in all, a pretty productive couple of days, although it looks like I've gone backwards!

Brian

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #42]

01-18-2008 04:45 PM But wait, there's more Fordillac to come
OK, I'll be done soon! I took about 200 photos today, so I'm posting some of 'em!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #41]

01-18-2008 04:11 PM More Fordillac Foto's
I'm also eager to get the Caddy 472 rebuilt and detailed. I have been tempted to fire it, as it should run OK as is, but I know if I do that, I'll also be tempted to just leave it as is. I want to have the car be all fresh as the plan is to take a cross country trip with it when I'm finished, and visit my son in 'Vegas. I don't want to have a tired old engine in the middle of nowhere!

If I get the engine and trans done in the next 3-4 weeks, that will be right on schedule. I'll finish up the frame, get the driveshaft made, make a fuel tank (plan is to make one from copper mounted between the frame rails at the rear), and get the body work done. Then, the weather will be warm enough here for me to paint without heating the shop. That seems reasonable.

I sold some extra bits and pieces on ebay last week, and got enough money to finish the car without dipping into my household income or charging anything. That's great, hopefully everybody that got my left overs is happy too! I'll add photos of what I'm doing as I go along, and keep my journal going while it's apart!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #40]

01-18-2008 03:59 PM Fordillac progress
After working all day to clean up a spot in the garage and build some shelves to store the pieces on, I'm now ready to blow the '36 Fordillac apart. I took a bunch of photos to remind me of what it's supposed to look like when I put it back together, and thought I'd add some to my journal.

I'm waiting for a box of rivets to put the seats together permanantly, and anxious to make the cushions and upholster them with the really cool fake Ostrich hide I bought this week. I was going to use a red leather hide I have, but it's too bright a color. The ostrich is a dark buckskin color, and has a lightly distressed finish, I think it'll be perfect.

It's funny, I've been kinda stalling tearing it apart to do the finish work, 'cause I just love going out to the shop and seeing it setting there in one piece! It's hard to take it from a rolling, steering, car to a big pile of parts. But, it's gotta be done.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #39]

Pages (51): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51