Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: flynbrian48's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View flynbrian48's profile Entries: 253
Views: 83714
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (51): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51

12-12-2007 10:13 AM I amaze myself sometimes
Here's the '36 with the top fabric laid over the bows. Who'd think you could take the entire top from an '02 Sebring, and use it, fabric, glass window and all, in a '36 Ford with the top cut off? (That sounds WAAAY too easy!)

Obviously, there are a few wrinkes, but bear in mind the top is simply laid on the bows. I (loosely) clamped the rear fabric, and put 4 staples in the front, but when it's stretched and fitted, it's going to be perfect. No alterations whatsoever. I really like the top "tucked in" the sides and rear of the body, mounted on a tack strip as in a new convert. This really shows off the work on the quarters to make the car look authentic, as opposed to the tack strip on the outside of the body and fabric over.

I'll mock up a rear curtain with small window, and see if that looks better than the large glass window. Either way, I'll be making a new rear bow to replace the stock one. It's an alum. extrusion with a channels for the mounting strip on the curtain and top fabric to slide into. Easy, but I will need to bring the rear window up about 3 inches to allow it to drop into the top well when the top stacks. If it won't, no big deal, I can make a curtain and get a small window frame. Dads hardwood pile will get a little bit smaller...

Take a look:

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #23]

12-11-2007 03:56 PM Fordillac top, contined
Here's some more shots of the top. Since it's cast aluminum, I think I'll stip the paint from the main irons and polish them. I'm going to have some polished and machine finished aluminum elswhere in the car, I think polishing the bows will be a nice look. Besides, I don't have enough to do...

Cheers

Brian

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #22]

12-11-2007 03:53 PM Fordillac gets topped off!
Got the front top header bow done and installed today. Used a chunk of 10/4 cherry, 10" wide. Hope Dad didn't plan on making something with it!

I realized after bolting it solidly to the top irons, that the Chrylser front bow is acutally hinged, to allow the side rails to pivot as the top stacks, and so had to duplicate this arrangement. This of course after I broke the bloody rails just aft of the bow mount the first time 'round! Works perfectly now, and looks great. I made header overhang the W/S a couple inches for an "eyebrow", which I like the looks of.

Also fit the rear bumper brackets, and have it bolted on. Mocked up some fenders, using some '37 Buick sidemount rings, which looks amazing. I'll trim them down for the rears, and use the Fords spare ring for the fronts, the Buicks being wide enough to cover 7.50x16's which is what'll be on the back end.

All in all looks great, a good days work.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #21]

12-10-2007 05:30 PM Oh, Crap....
Ever do something that as soon as you were done, was so incredibly stupid you wondered what was going on in your head at the time? Well, I do all the time, and this afternoon was a perfect example.

I'd gone up to my dads and raided his hardwood stack for a chunk of 5/4 Walnut to make the front top header bow. I surface planed both sides, cut it to length, and marked the arch of the windshield top on it, then with a fresh disk in the grinder, hogged it to the right shape.

I clamped onto the (trimmed to length) top rails, and my error was instantly obvious. I need at least an 8/4 piece of hardwood to get the right loft on the fabric from the edge of the header to the first bow. I didn't need to even string any tape to see that there was too extreme an angle from the first bow to the edge of the header. I could have simply laid anothe 5/4 (which plane down to an inch finished) on the first, but NOOOO, I'd already ground the top of the piece to an arc to match the underside. No way to glue up another piece now. Cripes.

So, tommorow, back to the stack and liberate an 8/4 or 10/4 piece and start over. I don't like to waste material, especially Walnut stock. Oh well, maybe I can make some little trim bits from it or something.

On the up side, it did demonstrate that the Sebring bows will work with the '36 body and MG windshield. The window opening shape is perfect, and the lines of the top, laid out with masking tape over the bows, is spot on.

In addition, I can see now from that I can use a wider piece, and create a "visor" with the header, that will look pretty cool. I'd left about 1/2" on this piece, but another full inch or even a little more will look perfect, and make the windshield look lower with the top up. So, I guess it's not a total waste!

Brian

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #20]

12-10-2007 04:57 PM Fordillac to get roll cage!
Today I stopped at a local fabricators shop, a guy I'd met a gas station last summer while driving my '51 Woody, to ask about fabricating a roll cage. Turns out, I stumbled into the perfect guy. We discussed what I was doing, what I wanted, and he showed me a similar cage in a '68 'Vette convert they're doing. His work is amazing, building space frame, 3 tube chassis for early 'Vettes using new suspension componants, blew me away. I'm excited to have him build a 6 point cage for the '36. It'll make the car much stiffer, safer, and will look absolutely killer with the top down!

Brian

[Entry #19]

Pages (51): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51