Browsing ebay this morning, I came across an ad for another '36 Humback Tudor sedan. (I'm having so much fun with this build, I'm already scouting another victim!). The opening bid was low, so I opened it up.
The guys ad described it as a "complete" and a "...pretty solid car...", so I scrolled thru the photos. HOLY CRAP! It was worse than the one I dragged home! No floors AT ALL, the drivers door looked like it'd been attacked by a pick-axe, and bottome 6 inches or so of the body was gone, gone gone. The one I started with was wasted, but the seller and I both agreed on that. It was pretty funny, I wondered what the "...pretty solid..." part of the car was...
Got the drivers door hung and (roughly) fitted. Ran out of shielding gas for the wire welder, but it was time to go in anyway.
Need to finish up welding the door posts, finish the cowl under the MG windshield. All the tack welds on the floors and door posts need to be completed, and make a couple more small patches for the cowl, under the rear corners of the hood. Other than that, the body is just about finished up. Not bad.
The photo shows how I aligned the hinge plates on the cowl with a length of all threat. I had to move the lower hinge up the cowl because the doors and cowl are sectioned. That, and the lower hinge mounts were rusted off anyway...
These photos show how much the rocker panel had to move out to fit the door. This should demonstrate the importance of bracing a body up before chopping a top or removing a floor to channel a body, but since the floor and all the inner bracing was gone when I got the body, that wasn't possible. The result was that I didn't know WHERE the body should be. Luckily, it wasn't too big a deal to move the bottoms of the posts and rockers out. I'll make little panels to fill the new gaps, no big deal
I got off work a little early tonight and went out in the cold to fit the passenger door. The first job was to repair the sloppy lower hinge. Brazed the pin holes fill, clamped it together in my drill press vise and bored a new pin hole for a 5/16 bolt.
I then made a reinforcement piece for the doors lower hinge mount, and bolted the hinge plates onto the door, and the cowl. The moment of truth... IT FITS!!!!!
Well, almost. I had tack welded the doors to the cowl and rear door post when cutting the body apart (it had no floors when I got it) and it turns out that I should have left more (or any) gap at the back edge of the door. It shut, but no way room for paint film.
So, I marked a line down the door, and took 1/4" off with the grinder, and tacked the outer skin back onto the inner. Ground those welds down, and VIOLA, it fits perfectly. 1/4" all the way around. The rounded rear corner is done on the door and rocker, it looks great, really makes the wedge shaped door sectioning look perfect.
I was pretty worried about the doors not fitting properly, especially after having to move the rocker panels out. Poor fitting doors really bother me on a car, it spoils the whole car if the gaps are off and the door doesn't fit flush. I'm very relieved to have worked thru this little problem!
The drivers side shouldn't be nearly as much a headache, now that I've fully gotten the right one done!