After being off for ten years and recovering from my injuries I started a new job, well half time job, but its a great job. 20 hours a week but it killed my time working on the Divco, but I'm not complaining. I'm reorganizing my time and and garage and hope to get back on the Divco soon because I need to start another new project. My 38 Ford COE I picked up last week.
I measured then cut strips with the jig saw. I sandwiched the metal in my homemade bending jig and hammered two 90 deg angles to give it a z shape. Made another piece with one 90 deg angle and welded the two pieces in. It took a few misc pieces to finish the corners. Last pic shows one finished and the other one half done with just the 90 deg piece welded in.
I put the stripped frames back in to check fit and realign everything. The bottom of one was gone and the other was half rusted out. I pulled them back off and cut out the rusted areas until I got to good metal that I can weld to.
I had straightened out the taillamp panel quite some time ago. I got the rear side panel rust done also and skimmed them with a coat of filler. I mounted the panels and started fitting the doors. I decided to reuse the original frames so I removed the skin and straightened the frames with heat, cutting, hammer and rewelding. The door on the left I cut out the usable straight sheet metal to repair the rust in the side panels. I'll get new metal for the doors when the time comes the repair those.
This side was torn open like a can of sardines. I cut out the damaged metal and found a piece of scrap the same thickness (16 ga). I laid it on a round piece of heavy pipe and hammered to shape then welded it in. too easy