Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 295
Views: 75821
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (59): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

08-07-2013 07:25 AM 118-14 NSRA Nats
The last three times I've driven my hot rod to the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville KY I went alone. This time I drove down and back with company, my friend Fuzzy in his '36 Chevy truck and friend Bill with me. The trip didn't seem nearly as long. We tried hard Friday and Saturday to see everything there was to see. There were over ten thousand entries so we may have missed a couple. We were able to spend nights with my youngest son and he rode into the expo center in the back of Fuzzy's truck as we were one too many to fit inside. We all had a great time. This was Bill and Fuzzy's first trip to the Nationals and I think they were impressed, not only by the number of cars but also by the incredible variety of individual efforts. We each had favorite styles and I've posted a couple of mine. The trip down was uneventful and without breakage in spite of the bloodthirsty traffic on I-65 and road surfaces never meant for solid axle hot rods. The return trip was better as we left very early and missed the traffic through Louisville. We enjoyed the company of passing street rods waving and sharing camera shots on I-64, and arrived home safe and damage free. It seemed that even my heating issues worked out as the temp gauge stayed 180-190 the whole trip with no puddles.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #240]

07-24-2013 12:30 PM #117-13 An evening on the lakes
I spent this whole trip watching the heat gauge. Thankfully it wasn't very exciting. My changes seem to have done some good, although I would rather the temp top out at 180* consistently. It did hover around there but hit 200* too often. The car show itself was good with lots of fine machines. There was a break in the weather, the really hot has let up which made for a comfortable evening. Made it there and back with no trouble and didn't leave any puddles along the way. Got to visit with new and old car show friends, had a pork burger and enjoyed the evening very much.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #239]

07-21-2013 07:29 AM The hot fix?
I've mentioned before that the 350 in my hot rod has been running hot. Really don't understand why. The radiator was replaced after the leaking old one couldn't be fixed. The plan was to also install an electric fan to help as the belt driven one was very low due to engine placement. There was some trouble with the powered fan after a lost nut. I ran without the fan installed as a test of the radiator and it held 180* temp on it's own...moving. After reinstalling the electric fan the engine stayed at about 200* but edged a little higher some. I wondered if the fan blocked more air than it was pushing (1000 cfm). After checking with my usual consultants it was suggested a fan shroud might help and changing to a 160* thermostat. That became the plan. I used a universal fan shroud from Speedway and drilled air holes in the brace area for more cooling. Hopefully all this will also stop the puddles left by the overflow tank. Now after an eighty mile round trip to an evening car show...left in the hottest part of the day, and the temp varied between about 185 to 200*. But went no higher. There was also no evidence of overflow. So I guess it's a little cooler?!?!?
I have been alternating between working on my garage addition and the hot rod. The garage has finally gotten to the point where it's ready for the metal roof and the siding (which I saved from the original), but at least I can use the space now and not need to climb over the tires to get around.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #238]

07-16-2013 07:19 AM 116-12 Car show alamode
The weather was good, the trip short, and there was free ice cream, how cool is that? This was a small show put on by a small town church as a fund raiser for the church fund. The event brought in over sixty entries, with a range from pure stock to highly modified. A good breeze kept the warm temperature manageable and it didn't rain. After the church service there were games, door prizes, and even a hula hoop contest. Of course the real reason we were there was the offer of free ice cream and water melon. Several of the shows this summer have featured home made awards (I think they're the best!) but this show has some very unique trophies. One of my pictures is the trailer filled with engraved chunks of granite and sandstone which were given out for the various awards. Way cool! Mine probably weighed 5 pounds. On other subjects, still have the heat problem, for which I'm installing a fan shroud and changing to a 160* thermostat.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #237]

07-09-2013 08:19 AM 115-11 Last show of the weekend #3
The third show on Sunday was in my home town just a mile away. I was honored that back in the spring the guy that puts the show on asked if I would consent to having my hot rod on the dash plaques (like I would say no). He likes it and I'm local and he has driven along to shows with me a few times. It was a surprise for the rest of the ''old guys'' who suggested bribery. Here again rain changed the plans. We have had a lot and while I was away at the show the day before it rained some more at home. The entries were moved from a large wet grassy area to paved lots around the traditional site. Attendance was good with more cars than were expected considering the forecast and wet conditions, but the rain didn't show and a great day was enjoyed be everyone. Fellow ''Old Guys'' were awarded. Bill in his class and Fuzzy with a special home made award.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #236]

Pages (59): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59