Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 289
Views: 73907
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (58): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

07-09-2013 07:45 AM 113-9 4th of Julyweekend #1
After watching the Independence Day parade in my home town I took the hot rod about an hour south for another town's 4th of July celebration car show. They have had just as much rain as the rest of the area so the show was moved from the grassy park to near by parking lots. Even though some what spread out and a little crowded conditions the show was a success and well attended with many of the area's finest rides. As usual there were many car show friends to visit with. After five years of taking my hot rod to shows I often meet the same people. The trip was uneventful other than a strange rattle I thought due to the rough roads of east central Illinois but it turned out to be loose header bolts. I hadn't retightened after reinstalling them some time back. The temp gauge has settled some although still too high for me at 200*. Going to look into a shroud, after this weekends three car shows.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #234]

06-25-2013 07:10 AM 112-8 'cause you gotta drive em
I keep asking myself why I do this. The forecast said it was going to rain in the afternoon and in my area there have been some real ''tub thumpers''. So of course I backed the hot rod out and washed off the remains of the last drive home. Then loaded up, drove 30 miles or so and gassed up at that end of the trip (20 cents less than local), and pulled into the charity car show sponsored by a car dealership. This has been a small show for a good cause that is usually a short easy drive from home. The usual attendees were there plus a few more and my friend Bill was even able to make it as well. Right on schedule in the afternoon the storm rolled in as the awards were presented, so naturally I got to drive home in yet another down pour. Bill was clever enough to wait out the storm in a car wash before heading out. I used some temperature dropping additive hoping to bring down the gauge reading but couldn't tell if it helped as buckets of rain made the fan belt slip. So add that to this weeks list of things to do. On another front the garage rebuild has arrived at ready for rafters and roof.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #233]

06-20-2013 06:10 AM 111-7 Daddy Day at Wally World
It was raining when I left the garage and it didn't stop until about mid day. This is a Father's Day show that has been held for 44 years, the last several at a local Walmart lot. The eventual turnout was good but of course it took clear skies to bring out the more rain sensitive entries. Although a good hand was given to the guy who drove his open Diamond T fire truck in the rain. The hot rods cooling system is still giving me trouble. It seems to run hotter than before with some coolant lose. I think the radiator is somewhat smaller plus it has a built in trans cooler which takes up room. I fixed the fan which runs fine but it stays hotter with it than without (on the road) although it helps at idle. The next step I think is to add some temp lowering additive. Any way there and back again, rain and dry, 'cause ''you gotta drive em''.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #232]

06-18-2013 08:26 AM 110-6 The Hippy Memorial Show
This was my first time at this show and next time I'll find a smoother route to get there. I really don't know much about the why of the memorial but the car show part was very well attended with over 100 entries. As has been the spread there were several pro built high dollar rides down to the likes of mine. The rain came and went enough to be an annoyance to those that felt the need to wipe down their paint and close things up. It was a good show in an interesting place. The midtown area is full of very well done murals supported by the show. My entry number was lucky enough to draw a 5 gallon bucket full of cleaning supplies which will last me a long long time.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #231]

06-11-2013 06:50 AM #109-5 Friend in need
We finally had good weather for a car show, clear, seasonal temps, and best of all it didn't rain, before during or after. My friend Bill had planned to go along in his '46 Ford truck but some plans just don't work out as one would hope. He has had problems with it before. We made it about half way there when the problems struck again. This time it was a battery that wouldn't hold a charge and left us dead in the road. After several tries to jump start and a side trip for more gas Bill and Sue called for help and sent me on. The show was well attended and some new fresh builds showed up along with many of the usuals. Fuzzy and friends trophied and with the early awards went on to an evening car show down the road. I went to Bill's to make sure they had gotten back ok.
This run was also a test for my hot rod. The electric fan I had just installed along with the new radiator has quit. The fan blade needed to be reversed for mounting on the front as a pusher, I evidently didn't lock on the center nut well as it's gone. So the fan blade doesn't turn. I removed the fan for fixing and to clear the radiator for air passage. I also wanted to know how well it would cool on it's own. It worked great as long as we were moving but while trying to jump start Bill's truck it was over heating. The hot rod definitely needs the electric fan and it goes back on right away.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #230]

Pages (58): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58