Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 289
Views: 73901
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (58): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

12-13-2012 10:24 AM A little more progress.
Work has been pretty slow on my garage destruction because I'm doing this by myself with only a vague notions of what I'm doing. Over thinking every step doesn't help but so far things have gone much better than expected and luckily the garage has fallen in rather than out. The plan was to take it down in parts starting with the end which had been attached to the newer garage so that it wouldn't fall that way. Now that it's down I can't believe it didn't hit any other structure and that I was worried it would fall at all. It took everything I could do to get it to come down in spite of the lean and totally rotten roof. I've hauled it all off and raked the site several times so that I can at least safely park there. Now I need to get some estimates on a floor before I start to rebuild.

In the part of the shop that's left, the headers have been removed so that I can check out the state of the glass pack mufflers in the collectors. I'm thinking maybe repacking with steel wool to quiet them a little. I've also put treatment in the gas for storage and I keep the tender on the battery. You can see that I've covered the hot rod for dust and dirt as well. I still need to get the radiator out so the hood is off for a start.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #219]

11-15-2012 08:55 AM Starting the Winter jobs
Three of the Old Guys had planned to meet at what was to be the last car show of the season. Fuzzy got there first even after a two hour drive, only to call and stop us most of the way there to say the show had been canceled, too cold, too wet, too late. So the hot rod got washed and put away for awhile. Then I started the first winter job which is to replace part of my garage. Ten or more years ago I had added a new building to the back of the old garage and opened a door between the two. As you can see the old part was full of junk, had a gravel floor and needed replacing. The newer part is still full of junk but when I remove the old and build a new concrete floored replacement I can spread some of the load. Now the old part is in danger of falling down or over, you can see the lean. The siding was stripped off and the end of the newest part has been sealed and the two parts separated. Now to take it down without hitting either building to the sides. Hopefully a new garage the same size will replace it this winter.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #218]

10-29-2012 07:24 AM 33-104 The next day...
The weather from yesterday held on, just as cold and windy but with lots of cloud cover to rob us of what little solar heat there was. This charity sponsored show was held at an O'Reilly's auto parts store lot so space was a little tight but filled. The good cause made some money and the car show friends had a good day visiting and joking with each other. We were fed and goody bagged and door prized so we couldn't really complain too much about the fall weather, it is after all FALL. Plans were made for next weekends last show of the season.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #217]

10-29-2012 07:17 AM 32-103 A windy affair
It was another chance to get the hot rod out, so I drove a little over an hour away to another small town fall festival. This day was sunny at least but temps were high 40's and the strong wind didn't make it any better. The fall weather probably accounted for the low turn out, only about 35 entrees. But there were some different cars to see and of course festival food and spectators to watch and visit with. The drive was uneventful considering the really strong wind but it looks as if my radiator leak is back. That goes on the winter list but after I rebuild my old garage. Only two more shows planned for this season.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #216]

10-23-2012 12:42 PM #31-102 A Picnic
The Car Enthusiast Picnic is held the third Sunday in October at a local (30 miles away) state park. The day was beautiful, sunny and seasonal which made the colorful leaves even more enjoyable. About 50 cars showed up, from hotrods like mine and fellow Old Guy Bill's to immaculate antiques. The pot luck picnic was enjoyed by most everyone while some of us spent the day talking cars and sharing our projects. I heard about a project being built along the lines of mine, and about caches of old cars. and incredible feats of car building. It was a very enjoyable day and I had a good drive even though Bill ended up limping home with a couple more problems. There are not to many chances left to get the hot rod out.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #215]

Pages (58): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58