Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 282
Views: 71724
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (57): 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

06-25-2014 08:29 AM Freshening up
Since finding a good match in rattle can paint for the body color on my hot rod, I have been slowly repainting various parts. The rear suspension is showing a lot of road rash so I started there this week. The wheels were removed for access and every thing sanded to clean and prep. Found a good use for all those Walmart bags in masking. Then painted several coats over a day. I posted about working on the steering, so when I touched up the rear calipers in black, the tie rod and drag link and panhard bar on the front were also repainted in black. Now it's all back together and ready to hit the road and gather more chips and scrapes, have another two show weekend coming up.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #277]

06-22-2014 09:51 AM 148-14 Cruisin'
No regular show this weekend so I joined a cruise organized by a local car club. About a dozen participants showed up for the second ''less sit'n'' cruise at a state park. Once the route was explained we all lined out of the park and followed on through a town with it's own covered bridge, and then on some more miles through more small towns and Illinois countryside. Eventually we stopped at the Mid America Motor Sports Museum attached to a large Corvette and VW specialty supplier which contained many rare special interest corvettes. After a tour and regrouping a short drive took us to a Steak and Shake for refreshment. The next stop was to be a photo op with a rustic setting ideal for placement of the varied participant machines. Although warm it was a great drive and lots of others got to enjoy the cool rides as we cruised by. The club plans four more cruises and I will definitely join in for less sit'n and more git'n.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #276]

06-20-2014 01:13 PM 147-13 Fathers Day
It's not the L.A. Roadster show but we have our own traditional Fathers Day show. This was the 45th annual edition. The weather cooperated this year and about 70 entries showed up for the show and shine and a chance to win cash prizes as well as trophies. The day was enjoyable not only for all the great cars and trucks but for the close by restaurants and shopping. The ''Old Guys'' were well represented and we appreciated the hospitality of the host club. A bonus for me was the short thirty mile drive, sunny day, and cheaper gas than at home. My hot rod has shown some wear on the front tires and after an attempt at adjusting the toe-in I installed a steering stabilizer/damper but still had some wander (more than before my ''adjustment''). My son reset the toe and now all is well and I had a good drive there and back.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #275]

06-12-2014 08:12 AM 145-12 ....the rains came
How could a car show outside an old fashioned soda fountain go wrong? Well it could rain, all evening long. The good news is that cars don't melt, they just get wet, like people. This was the second car event of the day. Following the morning start of the first car show was a second show in another town with a late afternoon registration. In spite of the on again/off again showers a fair number of participants eventually arrived. This show has always drawn many really well done cars and trucks and once again the selection was first class. My compliments to a well run club event, they can't control the weather either. We've been lucky so far this season and this is the first rainy weekend, after twelve shows. The awards were unique and went to a wide variety of special machines. Add to that the old fashioned real ice cream shakes, a live oldies band (meaning not extremely loud and listenable), lots of interested spectators and participants and it was all told an enjoyable evening as well as a great car show.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #274]

06-11-2014 06:53 AM 145-11 Reunion
The schedule came together for another two show weekend. The first one is an anniversary of sorts. A few years ago I met a photographer who worked with hotrodhotline at a car show, of course, and then at the very next show we met again. Also at that show parked next to my hot rod was a T-bucket belonging to soon to be friend Fuzzy Ron. The photographer Ray, and Fuzzy and I have been to a lot of car shows together over the years since. Ray moved out of state but returned for these two shows, sort of a reunion. It was good to see him again. The day was over cast and threatened rain but held off and everyone enjoyed the many entries. The number of participants seemed down from previous years, maybe due to the chance of rain. The awards were over early for the same reason and I followed Ron, again in the bucket instead of his '36 Chevy truck, to his home town for the next sow of the day.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #273]

Pages (57): 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57