Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 345
Views: 102638
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (69): 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

04-17-2016 10:37 AM 214,thru 217,
Typical spring in east central Illinois, we have had low forty degrees and seventies on alternating days. I have managed some outings with the hot rod. In mid March a few of us cruised to lunch for a ''catch up visit'' to share winter progress and even found a new fix-it in a leaking fuel line. Friend Fuzzy and I met up for breakfast to look over his new seats and upholstery in his '31 Chevy. The trip to a local swap meet was forty three degrees but sunny and a welcome break from several rainy days. A bunch of Old Guys gathered at the Wabash river for a cruise to the first warm sunny car show of the season. Temps in the high seventies got our spirits up for the car show season. We were all more than ready.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #340]

03-09-2016 12:01 PM Spring, soon I hope
Spring is slowly coming and fortunately there was not a lot of winter work to do on my hot rod. The Old Guys as a group had a mostly non-eventful winter, there were some projects that moved forward, interiors updated, engine changes, suspension fixes, and parts cars brought in. We even sent one of my home made trophies with an Old Guy to give as our ''choice pick'' to the W.O.W. car show in Indy. Mostly we met up as a group for meals here and there. A test drive in the hot rod for breakfast was good although I couldn't tell if the spring deletion changed anything but at least it's not worse, and it cured the header paint. We've had a lot of fun with the cruise to eateries and plan several more for the season. There were no long distance trips last summer but still put just over 2600 miles and 38 car shows in the log including my 200th. Looking forward to the next.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #339]

12-21-2015 09:03 AM Some winter projects
I have been working and playing with various projects and fixes. On the hot rod, I have tried out an idea that I have had for some time. No one has ever given me an answer when I have asked about this so thought to just give it a try. The idea is to remove a couple of leaf springs from the front axle to see if it softens the ride any. I took out the top two leafs which being the shortest I thought would be the stiffest and so ease the hit and bounce and let the shocks work better. Don't know yet how it will work. While the front end sheet metal is off the headers are getting their annual repainting and I may try a little body work on the bottom of the cowl. Just for a fun project I have had a silk screen made of our Old Guys logo and printed a bunch of shirts and shop towels. Last summer I made a quick banner to put up on a canopy at the Frog Follies and now it has been repainted, looks lots better than it did.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #338]

11-13-2015 07:20 AM 213-39 A big surprise
Our group the Old Guys with Hot Rods have been cruising to interesting places to eat. It's been a lot of fun and we've enjoyed some cool places. I've posted about a couple of the ''out of the way'' places here in central Illinois, most of which are small and known only to locals. Which makes it difficult to make a living for the owners. One such place is was a little country store turned into a small eatery. It is located five or six miles. either way, from the nearest town and at one time served the farmers and oilfield workers around that area. Times caused the owner to seek steady work elsewhere and only opened for special reservations. Last spring our bunch saw that there was to be an open day when the National Buick Club was coming and we went along. Really enjoyed the day and the restaurant. We eventually decided that it would be cool to reserve a day for us and picked the end of the car show season to cruise in and have lunch. I worked up a flyer which we posted on Facebook and as a service to the owners we opened the invitation to anyone who wanted to enjoy hamburgers and pie and a sort-of car show. There was a great response, lots of likes and shares. It went beyond our expectations with cars coming in all day long from a large area. We had fifty cars in a very small parking area and people who just stopped to eat. I was so busy parking and visiting with new car drivers that I didn't get many pictures other than early. All of us and the owners were really pleased with the day. We plan to do it again.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #337]

10-26-2015 10:43 AM Been busy
I've gotten way behind in posting to this site, there have been several other things going on. I've helped one of the guys with his 53 Studebaker, been working on my shop to close in an unused door where I then mounted a LP gas heater, and trying to help organize an end of the season car show. I'm looking forward to posting pictures of the Old Guys with Hot Rods lunch-in-drive-in. Here are a couple of pictures of the last three shows I've driven to, another fall festival and an Art and Wine cruise-in and a first time show at a local church for a fund raiser. They were all good shows and had plenty of good food and good fun with good company.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #336]

Pages (69): 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69