Several times last summer I would have offered money for rain, would have gladly driven my hot rod home in a summer rain. Now it has turned the other way around and I would pay for some sunny days, settle for a good rain only once a week or so. The second car show this season was at and for a local college's auto shop department. It was spinkling when I backed out of the garage and didn't let up all day. The first stop was friend Bill's. He had worked all week getting his hot rod ready after missing the last show with problems. We got just a couple of miles down the road when the same fuel pump problem came up again. It took a couple of trips back to his place and then we towed his '46 Ford truck back to his garage. We met up with Fuzzy Ron and Tom at the college and mostly endured the constant rain and cool temps til mid-afternoon when the students finally wound it up and gave out their award choices. It was unfortunate that there was a small turn out, we heard that another area show had the same fate. Drives like this are adventures in hot rodding, it's wet and cold and windy but you go anyway. You get to help a friend and see the car show diehards that will be around over and again all season. I also got to deliver a work jacket for my friend Tom on which I had painted his business logo. Made it back home, throwing four rooster tails the whole way, with wet clothes and more good memories.
The day finally came to get the hot rod out and go to a car show. Very cool 40's and windy day, clouds clearing off later. But there's a car show. The first problem was that evidently I have yet another ignition switch about to go bad. When I shut off after a short test drive, I noticed the key was turning too far again and I must have left it in accessory. Yes, the battery was dead the next morning. Had to push the hot rod out and over to the side of the drive and turn my truck around to get the batteries close and jump start. The forty mile drive to a local car club's show and swap meet was fortunately uneventful. The ''Class Pack'' car club holds it's show and swap meet at a fairgrounds with lots of room. Turn out for the show part was up from last year and the swap meet vendors were spread out more due to heavy rain soaking the grounds days before. One of our ''Old Guys with Hot Rods'' sort of club didn't make it due to a mechanical problem but the rest of us enjoyed the day. Some likely trophy making items were bought and lots of visitors were visited with. Fuzzy's '36 bomb trophied again and everyone left for home with plans to meet up in a couple of weeks at another show. My hot rod fired right up thankfully. This time I was more careful shutting down and hooked up the battery tender.
The concrete contractor has been waiting for warmer weather to pour the new garage floor. It finally came for a short spell, at least long enough to pour and finish the floor. The next day the block layer came and built the wall for the studs. Then we got 6 inches of really wet snow and cold again. There were blankets over the new work to protect it some but another warmer day came and is unwrapped now. It's been a week so it is now okay to get the hot rod out and do some spring cleaning in the shop part. Ordered a rollup door to close off the shop (and protect my stuff) and putting together a materials list for construction to start. I intend to keep the new floor clear while building so that I can still back out to drive to car shows. I have all summer now to build.
All of the support tubes are fastened in, the radiator is as protected by rubber cushioned mounts as I can make it, and now the new electric fan is mounted. The wiring kit I used when I started my hot rod build had lots of extra circuits and one was for an electric fan. So that premarked wire was fished out of the bundle at the fuse panel and pushed through the firewall. The wires on the fan of course wouldn't reach so splices were soldered on along with the correct ends for ground and a spade connection to allow removal. It actually works! I had reversed the blade and wires as I wanted to put the fan out front to push and keep the engine fan to pull. Due to the way I had to mount the radiator the engine fan was always at the bottom and not able to pull through as much of the core as would be best. Now the cooler has air movement top and bottom. The fan should help on those occasions when traffic is slow or in line at bigger shows. New plastic loom was used to keep everything together and protect from weather (which open engines get) and zip tied to hold. On other projects the headers are painted and some adjustments have been made for when the hood and side panels go back on. I'm also still waiting for the floor of the new addition to the garage.
After a test fit I pulled the core supports and trimmed the firewall to core support tubes for width and welded patches over the ends. The loop of the radiator mount had a lot of now extra holes which were welded closed, smoothed off, and then repainted. The actual mounts are scrap channel from shelf legs which were drilled, fitted with as many rubber washers and shock cusions as I could devise. With a dropped tube axle and transverse spring the front end gets lots of shock. The whole thing needs some adjustments and finagaleing for alignment but it looks as if it will work. The new radiator mounts a little closer to the fan which is good and I still need to mount the electric fan of the front. Of course the hood and grill all mount off the same square tubing that holds the radiator, so hopefully I have not changed things too much.