Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 303
Views: 78558
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (61): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61

06-22-2012 03:46 PM 11/82 The cursed weekend
This fathers day car show was in it's forty something edition I was told. Again hot and dry even though cloudy off and on with pretty fair breezes. Exactly one year ago this day the right rear disc brake bracket broke on my way to the show. This time when I made it almost home (just three blocks short) from the Saturday show planning to go to the Father's Day show Sunday, the right rear disc brake broke again. Not the bracket this time but the aluminum "hat" that fastens to the brake rotor. It shattered, and pieces that didn't fall out jammed in the wheel, lots of gouges in the inside rim. I have no real explanation why, I've had lots of trouble with this corner. Had to replace the bracket, the caliper was replaced when it kept locking up, and the pads gave out due to the over heating from that. All of this probably helped plus too stiff suspension on rough roads. Fortunately I was just a short walk from home and retrieved a jack and my F150. The wheel was removed in the entrance to a parking lot about 100 feet from where it all broke. After the wheel was off and the now junk "hat" was removed the problem was could the hot rod be driven home. The solution turned out to be using zip ties (the new bailing wire) to hold the rotor up in the caliper so that it didn't ride on the wheel and the axle and cause even more trouble. Well it worked and I was able to drive the three blocks home, of course I still had to walk back to get my truck and jack. Replacement parts were ordered right away, this time with a steel "hat".

I've never claimed to be smart so it's easy to outsmart myself. The steel ''hat" needed a spacer due to the wrong back space and that left no lug for the wheel. So...reorder what was originally there including a new rotor. The bracket was checked every way possible and squared up with the rotor and the axle and the floor, as well as squared with the slide bolts. When it all gets back together there will be longer hat bolts with lock nuts and locktite. Hopefully the rod and myself will only have missed a couple of shows, but I don't think I will go to any car shows on Fathers Day next year.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #193]

06-18-2012 01:38 PM Show 10/81
More hot and dry weather may be good for car shows but our area is getting desperate for rain. Several of us wouldn't have minded if it rained right then and there. This car club ran show was a success with lots of fine entries and good crowds there for the towns celebration. There was participant voting, a top ten, and an opportunity to be in the parade. I don't as a rule mention trophies (other than to diss when new production unmodified cars get them) but I was honored that the other participants voted me into the top ten. I note this because the plaques were awarded to a frequent show aquantance and myself-for each others rides, me for my "red '41 ford" and him for his "highly modified yellow '46 Chevy". I quickly exchanged plaques with him even though they were exactly the same. He had earned and deserved the right one!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #192]

06-13-2012 08:00 AM Show #9/80
The ninth show this season was an easy thirty minute drive from home. A car dealer sponsors this car show to benefit a childrens camp and they raised several hundred dollars. Weather this weekend was back to sunny, warm, and windy. The "old guys" made a good showing along with many really nice area cars. I especially enjoyed the '40 Nash with terrific flames. I've seen this car several times before and always intended to try to capture the reflection of the flames in the flames on the hood and fender. I think it worked pretty well. There are a couple more local (within an hour or so away) shows next weekend and hopefully friend Bill can get his hot rod running and join in. The "old guys" may be spread out more next time, Fuzzy and Jim to another show.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #191]

06-08-2012 10:30 AM #8/79 and it kept raining
Just a couple of days later after the Wheels Saturday evening show we all got together again to drive in more rain to catch the Hot Rod Power Tour on its way through Illinois. The weather was much the same as the Saturday before with drizzle and rain on and off all day. We walked through most of the 3 or 4 thousand cars parked all around the U of I Assembly Hall and enjoyed some pretty wild builds. There were some very brave people to drive some of the machinery we saw in the rain over those distances. The forecast says they should have better weather the rest of the way to the next stop. Any way now I've seen the Tour and am closer to my goal of 100 shows in my hot rod. Might even drive over to watch the Tour drive by to the next stop.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #190]

06-06-2012 08:05 AM #7/78 and the rains came
The "old guys" got together at Fuzzy's place for a pre-car show cookout and enjoyed great food and conversation but the weather left a lot to be desired. There were brief showers followed by brief periods of sun followed by more of the same. We all drove across town to the Main street show put on by the local Wheels car club. The weather kept up its on and off again pattern through most of the evening with some real rain thrown in. It was hard to keep track of how many times the more picky entrants wiped down their cars. Turn out of over 100 entries was a show record with many rare and pro quality cars. The streets were full of cars and people in spite of the conditions and everyone had a good time.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #189]

Pages (61): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61