Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 290
Views: 74603
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (58): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

12-14-2011 09:38 AM The Next Fix
The next fix on the list was to move the rear view mirror from the dash to the overhead. I used the patterns from my first covers and made them into one piece with cut outs for the wiper motor and the mirror. The original panels seem to be very open to rust as they have all seemed to disappear. At least I have been unable to find one, or anyone willing to part with one. I made mine from a masonite type material and used to same paint and color as the interior panels. As can be seen in the pictures I am not a pinstriper but I like to try. After mounting the panel in the overhead I repainted the dash top and worked on a "plug" for the old mirror/window crank hole in the top of the dash. I have now also added thick plates as reinforcement for the cab mount bolts.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #175]

12-08-2011 09:59 AM Winter fix addition
I had a post some time back about my efforts to make a long shifter and how it caused the trans to drop into 2nd. Well I have since worked for more clearance around to shift linkage, a big part, which caused the problem even without the tall shifter. Now I have made a shift stop to keep "any" shift lever from down shifting. I have never been a manual shifter with an automatic so just drive will work fine. Of course any time one thing is changed it affects other things, in this case the bolt head on my bracket kept the shift arm from allowing full contact on the neutral safety switch. So a little work with the die grinder made a relief for the bolt head and now all is well. Plus I can now run with the custom wood knob my late friend made and not worry about sudden shifts. Another fix was to rebundle and reroute some wires. At the first when I laid out my wiring I put the fuse panel behind the glove box ( I don't have one) instead of behind the steering column and gauges. This gives much better access. It also allows passengers to accidently put a foot in the wires. Not good. I had saved a sheet metal panel from the back of an old washing machine which with a little trimming, bending, and support made a perfect cover. I glued a scrap of carpet on it and now the floor carpet will cover over most of it hiding it even more. Next I'll move the mirror from the dash and put it up on the redone panel of the windshield.

  [Entry #174]

12-08-2011 09:43 AM Winter Fixes
This is my shifter stop, the relief for the bolt head on the bracket. Also took a piece of scrap metal and added it to the toe board to protect the wiring from passenger's feet. Carpet will blend it into the floor.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #173]

11-28-2011 08:11 AM Winter Fixes
I had some work to do on my old garage and added some recycled crate shelves before I was able to pull the hot rod into the "shop" end. What with visiting deer hunters (and my own efforts) about all I have managed to do is get started. Both doors are removed so the seat and carpet with one layer of insulation can come out. The console had to come out as well. Now the part of the fix-it list that involves the interior can better be accomplished. There is some floor work to be done, wiring to be better secured and protected, and a detent fabbed for the B&M shifter. I also am going to try lowering the seat riser to better put me in the center of the chopped windshield. This last may mean lowering the battery box.

The other "old guys" have started their own winter projects. Fuzzy is finishing up a new garage which holds his T-bucket and his newly purchased '36 Chevy pickup hot rod. Bill just took delivery (by me from the machine shop where my son works) of his now cleaned up and machined engine. Now he can start the assembly and get his '46 ford truck on the road.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #172]

11-07-2011 12:04 PM No #30, but "club" shirts
I didn't get to go to the last show on my schedule which would have been number 30 for the season. As it happens I had to have my everyday driver worked on. Thanks to my son Kory coming up with a smart fix repairing a water leak on the intake manifold of my 2K F150 which saved me having to buy an $800 manifold. Not one of Fords better ideas. Now it's time to start the winter fix it list.
A few weeks back I worked up a "club" logo for the old guys. With apologies to Mr. Crum I flipped over the truckin character, changed the coat to a T-shirt and the shoes to sneakers. Using a shirt meant adding more to the arms and a thumbs up. Of course since we're old guys he needed a beard. I had it screened on grey shirts and hand painted one for each Bill and Fuzzy. I was pretty happy with the way they turned out.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #171]

Pages (58): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.