Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 302
Views: 77119
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (61): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61

05-25-2012 10:00 AM The 5th Show and progress
The fifth show was a great day, good weather, good friends, and a lot of good cars. This show was along the Wabash in Indiana at a nice park with lots of shade and parking. Caught up with friends from past shows and heard about new projects. Enjoyed the company of the "old guys". I screwed up and managed to erase half of my pictures when I downloaded them into the computer. So not many here this time. Fuzzy's '36 was again chosen for a top pick inspite of the strange fact that every single member of the local corvette club was given a top pick (over ten percent of the awards!and they were ONLY corvettes). Happy to say that my top choices were also awarded. I met a young hot rodder who really had his head together hotrod wise and appreciated his '27 sedan with it's Stude engine (sorry lost the photo). The day was well spent and we all made it there and back in good order with plans to meet up at the next show.

I got a call later that week from friend Bill that he and welder Tom (who did the welding on my disc brake brackets) were overhauling his old set of headers. I had offered left over header kit pieces and gathered stuff up and drove over. Progress has been made, the 351W is in after it's rebuild and the project is lookin close to hitting the road. Some plumbing, a little wiring, and a few details are all that's left. Paint and finish are planned for after the more important MILES.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #187]

05-14-2012 06:59 AM Shows 3 and 4
The good weather held on and I was able to drive to a Friday evening cruise-in held at a Dog and Suds about 40 miles away. Although the lot was fairly small quite a few cars were squeezed in with the overflow at a parts store and a neighboring business. It was a friendly evening with car looking and discussions of what you drove in and a chance meeting with a friend who is looking for a Mustang rear end. Collected about a gagillion bugs on the twilight drive home. Then up and around the next morning, cleaned the windshield and readied to leave again. This show was about an hour away and ended up with 60 or so entries. Both shows brought interested viewers with questions and opportunities to share hot rodding. The fun part is that one gets to see cars never seen before and ask questions of my own. At every show there is some one who is building something or wants to...keep the faith.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #186]

05-06-2012 08:54 AM Finally the second show
Dodged the rain storms in east central Illinois and made it to only the my second show this spring. The day was very hot and humid but no rain made for a good number of cars and a large crowd. Bill's engine is together and needs just a few more pieces to get his hot rod on the road but he and the rest of the "old guys" were out in force. Fuzzy's '36 Chevy truck took first in Street Rod class and best engine as well. Well done him! This was the first show this season we were all together and plans were set in motion for at least the rest of the month. There are some spring festivals with car shows and a cruise-in on my schedule this month. With a little weather "luck" I can take in five more shows before June. Plans are being made for all of us to cruise in to see the Power Tour on its way through on June 4th.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #185]

04-19-2012 11:55 AM Between shows
We are starting to get the rain we're behind on so I've missed the next two drives on my list. A Friday evening cruise-in and a Saturday car show were both rained out, at least for me. So I took on a little project that has been on my mind. I bought a 3 dollar scrap of aluminum from a local welder and laid out a plan for a trim piece to go around the shifter boot. Due to the location of the hole in the oil pan console it was difficult to make the trim go all the way around, plus the hole is rather oddly shaped. Once the piece I wanted was cut out and two holes drilled to make round corners on the inside, it was formed over a pipe to fit the upward curve of the pan. After marking the holes for the fasteners and drilling, test fits made for more forming to try to match all the curves of the pan bottom.The outside corners were rounded and the edges filed and cleaned up. A little polishing and the whole thing was reassembled and put back in the cab. I like the way it makes the inverted oil pan look more finished as a console, even though no one but me will notice.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #184]

04-08-2012 10:14 AM First Show of the Year
For the first outing of the season I picked up friend Bill and we drove over to the annual spring swap meet/car show. The swap meet is the main part of the event as the car show is pretty small but it serves well as a season break in trip. There was probably at least one example of whatever part you were looking for at a good price. I picked up another recycled mirror (no idea what it came from) as the mirror in my latest version of the overhead console can't swivel enough to give a good view outback. In addition to parts looking we met up with friends not seen since last year and picked up flyers for up coming events. Other than just enjoying getting the hot rod out on the road again, the best part of the trip for me was a non-event. None of the problems that I tried to address over the winter showed up. The down shift problem is fixed, the loose connection in the gauges stayed tight, the neutral safety switch was able to do it's job, and even the radiator leak is taken care of. Best of all I didn't screw anything up with my "fixes".

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #183]

Pages (61): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61