Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 287
Views: 72849
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (58): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

09-13-2011 07:30 AM #21 trip Surprise
This trip was a surprise and a good one. I picked this car show because it gave me a chance to stop by an old friend for an over due visit. His '56 Chevy wagon is just getting under way once he unloads a vette. We had a great visit and shared our projects. Then came the surprise, as part of our ride in my hot rod we went to his friend's garage/shop. This tour was a real adventure. The garage has been written up in magazines and the internet, even a complete record on the Garage Journal. Starting as an abandoned garage/black smithy it is now "the coolest garage ever", complete with several spotless '60s GM cars that are perfectly restored. The best part of the cars is that they get thrashed on the drag strip regularly and often. The collection of old tools, equipment, and even a 1920 lift was mind blowing. I can't imagine having that much room, so brightly lit and operating room clean. It was worth the trip for this tour alone. The car show was a let down after that but I met up with friend Fuzzy and enjoyed the rest of the day. The home made trophies and the drive through presentation were cool. The drive was pretty much as usual but I still have not found the gremlin that jars the gauges off and on.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #162]

09-07-2011 12:57 PM Shows #19 and 20
Over the holiday weekend I took in two more car shows. The first was one of our area festivals and it seems as if most now include a car show. I attended this one last year and the number of entries was down quite a bit. The weather was very hot and there were several other Labor Day shows around which may account for the fewer entries. The trip was fine and there were many interested spectators. My only and usual complaint was a full third of the awards were given to new production cars. I drove through a little shower of rain on the way home and the weather changed dramatically for the next days show which was only a few blocks from my home. The day was much cooler (by 30 degrees) and there were a few light sprinkles of rain, just enough for the fussy types to hurry and close up hoods etc., and then wipe down again. There were about a hundred entries and lots of spectators enjoying the Popcorn Festival and car show. One good thing about intermittent showers is that only real car people get out in it, so there were very few corvettes and no new cars. My problem was, just as I did last year, I was so busy visiting with friends and family that I totally forgot to get the camera out. The pictures are just from the Cheese Fest car show.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #161]

08-29-2011 08:36 AM #18 Frog Follies
Over six thousand street rods/hot rods showed up for the 37th
annual Frog Follies. Wanting to arrive as early as we could meant leaving about dawn as we would lose an hour as soon as we crossed into Indiana. I had researched an alternate way to get to the fairgrounds and avoid the usual line that forms on the main highway, only to find on arrival that the route had been marked with signs as a better route. And I thought I was being clever. It was thankfully an uneventful trip even with the usual-occasional bone jarring bump. I thought it odd that even with thousands of entries there were cars parked near us from close to home. There are some important differences for me to recommend the Follies over the NSRA Nats, it's only half as far to drive, admittance is limited to pre '49 (my personal preference), and even with 6000+ entries it's still small enough to see everything. There were lots of highboy pickups but virtually all of the rat variety and few "finished" enough to quality as "traditional" and maybe a handful really finished out. We talked with people from 30 miles from my home town to south Texas, about things hot rod to art and photography, tear drop trailers to the absolute absurdity of new 'glass cars made to look rusty ( here's a hint...SAVE a rusty old car!). It was a great show, great weather and a safe trip and I'm registered for next year.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #160]

08-24-2011 08:20 AM #17 A Full Three-fer
Bill and I left early and put in another hour on the road to the Sunday show. This show is a large well known open show put on by the local car club. Just over two hundred entries were registered and spread over three parking areas. The weather was great, warm but with a nice breeze. Lots of door prizes were awarded and over one hundred awards. I enjoyed seeing many new cars and some old friends. Strangely the gauges bounced back on and stayed that way. I'll need to track down the cause now to get ready for the long drive next weekend to the Frog Follies.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #159]

08-24-2011 08:10 AM #16 On to the Next
Due to the task of tallying the scores of the judges in the first show, the awards were pretty late (as usual) and made the timing pretty tight for the run to the next show. My friend Fuz had planned on a different second show and had another hour farther to drive. He had brought his Pontiac instead of his T bucket which was in the shop after an accident. I arrived in plenty of time for my evening show held to support the local food bank. There were over fifty entries which were treated to burgers and games. I met up with friend Bill and made plans for the Sunday car show the next day. The predicted weather arrived about dark and the show broke up. All of the miles of bouncing around produced a loose connection in the gauges which shut off as I was leaving the park. Other than that the day was a success and fun with visits with several interested people.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #158]

Pages (58): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58