I've been refinishing the cover that goes over the fuel cell on my short bed hot rod. It was always meant to look like the wood floor of a regular pickup. The cover has been exposed to lots of sunshine and occasional rain for three summers and was showing some wear. I used paint remover and a plastic scraper twice over to get most of the paint off and then sanded off the stain and tried to level/smooth the warp in the surface. I might add that the lumber was recycled in the first place from a machinery crate. As the stain was sanded away I came to like the weathered look and finally quit sanding. Next came four generous coats of polyurethane with lots of drying time between coats. The back side or bottom of the lid has always been black like the inside of the bed and has decals from the parts used and dash plaques from the big shows I've been to...Nats, Follies, and GoodGuys. While it was off I played at stripping it and added the "old guys" logo. I finally worked up the nerve to try the flames and was pretty happy with my attempt. Now it's mounted back in the bed of the hot rod and I like the lighter color with the yellow body. Need to decide what comes next.
I have been refinishing the wood on the bed cover for my hot rod. It had become pretty weathered from exposure to rain and sunshine. I used paint stripper and have sanded a bunch. Between waiting for things to dry and warmer days I have dinked around with other projects. I made up another scrap metal "flying eyeball" ala Von Dutch with the idea to put it on my dash where the mirror hole is, but it got too big. So with the addition of a bolt and an old rusted con rod it has become a trophy top. Awhile back I posted to the "brush with fame" thread which reminded me of my neglected keepsake from Ed Roth. I hunted it up and fixed the broken arm and repainted it. I had already heated and bent the fingers into a thumbs up a long time ago. Now it sits on a paint can with a fake striping brush as a tribute to Big Daddy hisself. Some where put away I have a newspaper picture of him (us) as he signed my fink. In the middle of all this I dropped my denim jacket off and had the same company screen our "club" logo on the back in white. I was really happy with the shirts and even more so with the blue jean jacket. I of course painted it in as I did the some of the shirts. I'll put up pictures of the bed cover when I finish the coats of poly (4 so far) and try to stripe it.
The next fix on the list was to move the rear view mirror from the dash to the overhead. I used the patterns from my first covers and made them into one piece with cut outs for the wiper motor and the mirror. The original panels seem to be very open to rust as they have all seemed to disappear. At least I have been unable to find one, or anyone willing to part with one. I made mine from a masonite type material and used to same paint and color as the interior panels. As can be seen in the pictures I am not a pinstriper but I like to try. After mounting the panel in the overhead I repainted the dash top and worked on a "plug" for the old mirror/window crank hole in the top of the dash. I have now also added thick plates as reinforcement for the cab mount bolts.
I had a post some time back about my efforts to make a long shifter and how it caused the trans to drop into 2nd. Well I have since worked for more clearance around to shift linkage, a big part, which caused the problem even without the tall shifter. Now I have made a shift stop to keep "any" shift lever from down shifting. I have never been a manual shifter with an automatic so just drive will work fine. Of course any time one thing is changed it affects other things, in this case the bolt head on my bracket kept the shift arm from allowing full contact on the neutral safety switch. So a little work with the die grinder made a relief for the bolt head and now all is well. Plus I can now run with the custom wood knob my late friend made and not worry about sudden shifts. Another fix was to rebundle and reroute some wires. At the first when I laid out my wiring I put the fuse panel behind the glove box ( I don't have one) instead of behind the steering column and gauges. This gives much better access. It also allows passengers to accidently put a foot in the wires. Not good. I had saved a sheet metal panel from the back of an old washing machine which with a little trimming, bending, and support made a perfect cover. I glued a scrap of carpet on it and now the floor carpet will cover over most of it hiding it even more. Next I'll move the mirror from the dash and put it up on the redone panel of the windshield.
This is my shifter stop, the relief for the bolt head on the bracket. Also took a piece of scrap metal and added it to the toe board to protect the wiring from passenger's feet. Carpet will blend it into the floor.