Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 290
Views: 74592
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (58): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

05-16-2011 02:28 PM Finally the first show
I finally made it to the first show off my list.What with the drive shaft repairs and the fan rattle issues I've missed about four shows so far. Some were due to rain, I'm not complaining 'cause at least my town and garage are not flooded like so many. The first show I made it to was at Lake Land College in Mattoon IL for their 14th annual show. It rained most of the trip about an hour away but the weather turned and it was a great day. The turn out was lower than last year due I guess to the early rain, that may have been why I got a 2nd place trophy. The show crew tried to give as many entries a trophy as they could. Still there were lots of class cars and trucks there. The trip was uneventful although it was pointed out to me that there was a crack in the aluminum mounting bracket on my radiator. I'll post next about the repair but I will say that the welding instructor who found the crack offered to reweld it as soon as the show was over.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #140]

04-11-2011 12:10 PM WHAT was THAT????
I haven't posted in awhile as the winter fixes were done and pretty much just waiting for the first chance to go to a show or cruise. I planned to attend a cruise-in on Friday April 8th so the Sunday before I backed the hot rod out and washed it. Then went for a drive, the first since rebuilding the disc brakes on the rear axle. Drove about 30 minutes, both highway and back roads. Fortunately I was only going about 30mph close to home when the drive shaft broke loose. I hate it when I do something stupid, evidently when the rear axle was reinstalled I must have screwed up the needle bearing on the rear u-joint and it let go, taking out the panhard bar and the shaft. I reordered everything from the tranny back and had the parts by the end of the week but too late to "cruise". Every thing went back together finally but I had to do a little trimming on the inside of the 9" yoke to fully seat the new u-joint (this may have been the real problem). Now it's all buttoned up and after another test drive where I stopped several times to check the joints and the other stuff that had been removed, that job appears to be done.

While doing the checks on my test runs I noticed an odd rattle at the front of the engine. Back in the garage a good look showed that the fan was able to move without the pulley turning any. So off it came and the holes were ovaled in the pulley. Ordered a new one, my son did some machine work on the aluminum spacer as it was not fitting against the pump shaft. Now all is tight and quiet.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #139]

02-22-2011 02:32 PM Winter Break
Drove over to Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago for the World of Wheels show. Not many street rods in the "show" car part but they were all excellent. The "basement" type show had a lot of really interesting builds, some of which could have done well in the other part of the show. Took pics of the ones that interested me, especially the '46 chevy pickup. Also picked up flyer/apps for the Road Rocket Rumble in June and GoodGuys Speedway show.

Back in the shop the headers are cured and various pieces are finished up and waiting for the first cruise-in on the 8th of April.
I'm still trying to work out plans for a headliner and overhead consol.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #138]

01-25-2011 02:25 PM Winter fixes 4, headers
On the winter list was repainting the headers, there are no affordable ceramic coaters in my area. After removal an angle grinder with a wire brush was used to remove the old paint, plus a lot of hand sanding in the tight places. Rustoleum header primer was then sprayed on. I hung them up for the first coat and then spot painted missed areas. Top coat was the same brand in silver. Too much snow and ice to get out of my little garage and pretty close quarters to idle for twenty minutes so going at curing by shorter stages, will do it right when the weather clears up finally. The new color is less "bright aluminum" but hopefully will stay on much better.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #137]

01-04-2011 02:28 PM The Silly Season Again
While waiting for help bleeding the brakes I started a couple of projects for fun. Car plaques, remember those? I always wanted one, hopefully from a hot rod club to which I belonged. I don't have a club, but have often thought about making my own version of the plaques. I bought a scrap of aluminum 8x11x.125 and put my deign on it. I had cut it in half and screwed the two pieces together to make two at the same time. I don't have a mill so I drilled as many holes as I could and then used files and a dremel type tool to clean up around the letters. It's not coming along too bad.

Silly project #2 is an old metal picnic basket that I used last summer to hold a soft pack cooler and various things for car show trips. It was red plaid but I painted the same yellow as my hot rod and covered it with decals and lettered the top. I used an old choke knob for a lid lifter. I plan to try to pinstripe the top.

In the mean time the brakes are bled, I have shimmed the hood side panel to better align with the hood and adjusted the hood nose trim to match. The plan to lower the seat riser has been dropped as measurement has shown that the cusion will probably hit the battery top. Now on to the headers and some interior work.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #136]

Pages (58): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58