I'm wrapping up the winter projects. After measuring every way I could think of there was only going to be about an inch of gain in lowering the seat riser. Too much work for too little gain. So the interior was reinstalled, insulation, carpet, and seat back. The overhead panel was touched up and put back in along with a plug for the hole in the dash. There was a thought ticking around to make a drawer in the seat base for all the junk that I kept in a box under the seat cushion. Now if I need the wiper blade there is no need to search for it or the wrench to put it on with. Recycled boards were grooved for a bottom panel and squared up with a drawer front routed, sanded, and painted. The drawer pull is a small piston from a compressor. The finished drawer just sits/moves on a support to keep it level with the cab floor. The seat cushion was replaced and the interior was complete but for the oil pan used for the shifter console. I wanted to wait until I was sure the newly fabbed "stop" didn't interfere with Drive. As it happened this was also a good time to replace the old (also recycled) lights in my garage shop. It's so bright now I can actually see what I'm doing, no more excuses. At any rate the hot rod finally fired up and pulled easily into Drive and drove back in. So the shifter stop at least doesn't prevent getting into gear, now to see if it works as well preventing untimely down shifts. Next up is spring maintenance , changing oil and filters, and cleaning. Also plans are made for the "old guys" to trip to Indy for the World of Wheels show, car stuff to do.
I took a trip up the road to visit my friend Fuzzy and see his new garage. He recently finished the building to house his hot rods and provide a clean, dry, warm place to work on them. The maroon bucket was his ride all last summer, yes even in the rain...but not by choice. Having to put up with weather in an open roadster inspired him to look for more protection. The bomber was purchased in Louisville KY but was built elsewhere. It's a '36 Chevy that has been modified a bunch including sectioning. It runs a 383 stroker, a TH400, and hauls. Now he's forced to decide which to drive when. I really feel for him, tough. The other reason for the trip was to pick up some of our new "old guys with hot rods" hats that Fuzzy had printed for us. The hats are tan with our logo in black and look great. Of course I painted some of them in. I don't know but that almost makes us legit, hats and shirts, just like a real hot rod club.
I've been refinishing the cover that goes over the fuel cell on my short bed hot rod. It was always meant to look like the wood floor of a regular pickup. The cover has been exposed to lots of sunshine and occasional rain for three summers and was showing some wear. I used paint remover and a plastic scraper twice over to get most of the paint off and then sanded off the stain and tried to level/smooth the warp in the surface. I might add that the lumber was recycled in the first place from a machinery crate. As the stain was sanded away I came to like the weathered look and finally quit sanding. Next came four generous coats of polyurethane with lots of drying time between coats. The back side or bottom of the lid has always been black like the inside of the bed and has decals from the parts used and dash plaques from the big shows I've been to...Nats, Follies, and GoodGuys. While it was off I played at stripping it and added the "old guys" logo. I finally worked up the nerve to try the flames and was pretty happy with my attempt. Now it's mounted back in the bed of the hot rod and I like the lighter color with the yellow body. Need to decide what comes next.
I have been refinishing the wood on the bed cover for my hot rod. It had become pretty weathered from exposure to rain and sunshine. I used paint stripper and have sanded a bunch. Between waiting for things to dry and warmer days I have dinked around with other projects. I made up another scrap metal "flying eyeball" ala Von Dutch with the idea to put it on my dash where the mirror hole is, but it got too big. So with the addition of a bolt and an old rusted con rod it has become a trophy top. Awhile back I posted to the "brush with fame" thread which reminded me of my neglected keepsake from Ed Roth. I hunted it up and fixed the broken arm and repainted it. I had already heated and bent the fingers into a thumbs up a long time ago. Now it sits on a paint can with a fake striping brush as a tribute to Big Daddy hisself. Some where put away I have a newspaper picture of him (us) as he signed my fink. In the middle of all this I dropped my denim jacket off and had the same company screen our "club" logo on the back in white. I was really happy with the shirts and even more so with the blue jean jacket. I of course painted it in as I did the some of the shirts. I'll put up pictures of the bed cover when I finish the coats of poly (4 so far) and try to stripe it.
The next fix on the list was to move the rear view mirror from the dash to the overhead. I used the patterns from my first covers and made them into one piece with cut outs for the wiper motor and the mirror. The original panels seem to be very open to rust as they have all seemed to disappear. At least I have been unable to find one, or anyone willing to part with one. I made mine from a masonite type material and used to same paint and color as the interior panels. As can be seen in the pictures I am not a pinstriper but I like to try. After mounting the panel in the overhead I repainted the dash top and worked on a "plug" for the old mirror/window crank hole in the top of the dash. I have now also added thick plates as reinforcement for the cab mount bolts.