Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 302
Views: 77124
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (61): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61

01-25-2011 02:25 PM Winter fixes 4, headers
On the winter list was repainting the headers, there are no affordable ceramic coaters in my area. After removal an angle grinder with a wire brush was used to remove the old paint, plus a lot of hand sanding in the tight places. Rustoleum header primer was then sprayed on. I hung them up for the first coat and then spot painted missed areas. Top coat was the same brand in silver. Too much snow and ice to get out of my little garage and pretty close quarters to idle for twenty minutes so going at curing by shorter stages, will do it right when the weather clears up finally. The new color is less "bright aluminum" but hopefully will stay on much better.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #137]

01-04-2011 02:28 PM The Silly Season Again
While waiting for help bleeding the brakes I started a couple of projects for fun. Car plaques, remember those? I always wanted one, hopefully from a hot rod club to which I belonged. I don't have a club, but have often thought about making my own version of the plaques. I bought a scrap of aluminum 8x11x.125 and put my deign on it. I had cut it in half and screwed the two pieces together to make two at the same time. I don't have a mill so I drilled as many holes as I could and then used files and a dremel type tool to clean up around the letters. It's not coming along too bad.

Silly project #2 is an old metal picnic basket that I used last summer to hold a soft pack cooler and various things for car show trips. It was red plaid but I painted the same yellow as my hot rod and covered it with decals and lettered the top. I used an old choke knob for a lid lifter. I plan to try to pinstripe the top.

In the mean time the brakes are bled, I have shimmed the hood side panel to better align with the hood and adjusted the hood nose trim to match. The plan to lower the seat riser has been dropped as measurement has shown that the cusion will probably hit the battery top. Now on to the headers and some interior work.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #136]

12-15-2010 12:21 PM Winter fix 3
No surprise to anyone it's COLD!! I use a little propane tank style heater and it takes a long time to heat my little garage even a little. The new gasket is in, the new disc brake brackets are welded on, and the whole rear end has been cleaned up and painted. I used the same paint that was put on the body and tried to go light coats and hope the cold temps didn't hurt anything. At least it's not as scratched up as it was. I also tried to do a little pinstriping on the pumpkin. Clearly I am not a stripper, but I tried. It's all back under the bed now and ready to bleed the brakes. I of course managed to dig a big scratch in the axle tube trying to lift it off the jackstand dolly. Yet another thing to not do by yourself if you can help it.

I've finally thought of an idea to better align the hood sides with out removing the complete front end. Then the truck needs to be centered in the garage space so I can work from both sides and start lowering the seat.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #135]

11-23-2010 02:29 PM Winter fixes 2
The disc brake bracket from Speedway needed to be modified for clearance on the axle hub. In order to center the rotor in the caliper the bracket needed to fit up against the flange at the end of the axle tube. The retaining plate stud heads were in the way as well and cut outs were made to clear them. The whole point of this was to rotate the caliper back to put the bleeder at TDC, which I should have done better in the first place, 5000 miles ago. The brackets are tacked on and test fit to clear the rims, center the rotor, and now need finish welding. Thanks again to all the guys on the forum for advice about welding on the rear axle housing.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #134]

11-17-2010 12:26 PM Winter Fixes, rearaxle
The first winter fix has been to replace the gasket in my Ford 9" rear. I used the wrong sealer when it was put together the first time and the gasket leaked. So new metal gasket and sealer this time. While I was in there I found what turned out to be pieces of a rolled pin in the oil. Checked and found the location and replaced it too. I have no idea why it would have broken unless the guy that did my overhaul hit it once too hard. I could find no other damage, from the pin or anything else.
Now it's on to the disc brake brackets. They need to be clocked back for better bleeding.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #133]

Pages (61): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.