Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 285
Views: 72604
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (57): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

07-06-2009 08:58 PM My first car show
Well my hot rod and I made it to our first car show. All the way across town. Had a good time, got some good comments. The guy that gave me the s10 seat I used set me straight (after some research) on which vacuum boss to use for the vacuum advance. Also talked to a fellow highboy truck builder who knew about the similar truck that inspired me in 1962. After the show I went to my son's and set up the vacuum hoses and he reset the idle, it had jumped up. After a drive all is well--no GOOD. It ran strong, idled, and pulled hard.
I also want to thank my son for giving up his lunch hours to reinstall the intake and get everything running again so his old man could go the car show. THANKS!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #70]

06-16-2009 09:02 AM Adventures in hot rodding, goof fixes
I sure am tired of screwing up. The first pic is of the shifter bracket I made to hold the B&M mount firmly to the trans, and then put the original shifter back in instead of my heavy home made one. The stupid thing, it seems as if my using the intake bolts to hold the kickdown cable bracket was a really dumb idea. The popping from the header turns out to be a cylinder miss/not fireing as it should due to a LEAK in the intake letting air in. My son brought in a mechanic who tested spark, plugs, compression, and wires and finally noticed my bracket. Now the intake is off and new gaskets are going on and the cable bracket is not going back on. The number seven cylinder should be much happier now. I can hardly wait to find out what the next trip will show me.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #69]

06-05-2009 04:32 PM A Short Road Trip
Finally got the brakes fixed, whole 'nother story there, and took some short trips. Around the block first, throttle pedal needed a fix. Next trip a little farther and discovered the right rear brake was locking up and the TH350 was down shifting...shift lever and all. Fixed the brake problem with lots of help from a friend and Midas. Back for another jount, still down shifts. As was mentioned here on the board, the shift lever was too heavy so put the B&M lever back on. Went a few miles this time, all kinds of roads and gravel. Lots of rattles and noises, some strange popping from the header mufflers, and a loose battery cable but made it home. Still don't know if I'll get it to Indy for GG's, but I'll be there anyway.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #68]

05-18-2009 12:34 PM good news/bad news
Finally thought to add pics of the interior after the seat covers went on. Painted and installed the kick panels and reworked the window moldings to clear the glass. I modified the hood nose trim to better support the hood. Shortened it a little, widened it some and added a bracket to center it in the front. The good news is one of my sons got the engine timed, floats adjusted, broken in. Then I fixed a small water leak, added a throttle return spring, and changed out the breakin oil and filter. The bad news...after testing for oil leaks I decided to back it out and maybe go for a trip around the block. The idle was pretty high but "I" was ready. I put it in reverse and I'm headed for the street guickly and...no brakes. I shut it off. I'm not sure about the jump in idle speed, I may have screwed up with the spring? When I quit bleeding the brakes some time ago I had good pedal pressure, I thought I was done. Engine wasn't ready so I couldn't test my theory. Now I can find no leaks on the floor and no pedal pressure.
I'm tired of this, it's always something!? And GoodGuys Indy is only 23 days away.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #67]

03-27-2009 08:58 AM hood sides back on
I'm not real concerned about the color of the primer not matching as most of it will be sanded off when it goes to final paint. As mentioned before the plan is to drive it, ALOT, this summer then it all gets redone next winter. I hope to find a painter to redo all my bad work and put the final color on. The body, bed, hood, and custom panels are a little rough any way, they show their age, so I don't need/want them to be perfect. Which is to say I can't afford to have hours put in on making it something it's not. It's a hot rod and that's good enough for me.
Now I need to do seat covers, put the insulation on the floor and up the firewall, add some carpet, and hopefully all this after I get the engine started and broken in.
Please forgive the funny angles in the photos. My garage shop is little and it's hard to get very far back to see what things look like. Back soon I hope!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #66]

Pages (57): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57