Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 284
Views: 72276
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (57): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

01-31-2009 12:14 PM Hood side work continued
The front part of the "new" sheet metal is from the scrap pile at a local body shop and is a door skin. One side has the bottom of the skin and worked well as the curve into the grill was close to the hood curve. The other side (rt in pic) I have to pound into shape. I'm not a body man as you can see from my posts and don't have the correct tools so I'm forming the curve over a pipe and filling it- probably a lot. This is what I've come up with so far. The sides need a bunch of work yet. Note the lens in the old original head light pieces. One orginal piece was petty well shattered and the other had part of the back broken off. A good friend made up a mold after filling in the missing piece and cast new lens in plastic. I think the mold is RTV silicone in a plaster reinforcement and the liquid plastic is poured in. Both are solid but polish well and are clear enough for light to pass through.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #59]

01-31-2009 11:59 AM Hood side work continues
I have reposted a pic of the hood side with the sheet metal add-ons to the original hood side. I settled on 3/8ths rod for the bead edge and tacked it on after bending it to the radius. I don't have a bender of any kind so used an old disc brake rotor in the vice and kept working it until it matched as well as I could. It wanted to warp the sheetmetal so took even more bending to get the thing to fit the body side at the cowl. I've started to fill and blend the rod into the hood side.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #58]

01-14-2009 11:05 AM Reworking the hood sides
I originally planned to use the stock hood side pieces to make new side covers but changed my mind as I thought they just looked like I had removed the fenders. Well I'm back to that plan. I had added on to the cowl end to extend the side down to what seemed the logical place to stop at the firewall. At the front I raided a local body shop's scrap pile and found a couple of pieces that seemed to have a good curve that would fit around into the grill. If you look back a ways in this journal to the bare metal state you can see what I started with. I have put on some filler and knocked it down some, used rattlecan primer to see what it would look like, mockup sortof. I have added the light pods from the top of the stock headlight buckets to the side panel for the turn signals (assuming that I can ever get them to work). The next step is to tack on a piece of 1/4? inch rod around the opening and make a rolled/bead edge. You can also see in the pics the painted new headers with the extention and turn down.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #57]

12-25-2008 12:17 PM more stripes and then headers
Here are some shots of the bed cover back on the hot rod and I started the previous post with a pic of "before", makes the flames stand out much more.
The last photo is the finished header with paint. The hot paint is from Plasticoat which is all my local Car Quest had in stock. The headers were cut off and angled out away from the body with the back tube taking about 2 inches and the front just angle cut. One of the tubes was cut below where they come together on the way down and turned so the whole thing would work. I cost way too much to have it done but it was too late to change my mind...should have asked first.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #56]

12-25-2008 12:06 PM Stripping brush for Christmas
One of my sons got me a stripping brush for Christmas, a real Mac 00. I practiced some and finished the flames that were stained on the bed cover of my hot rod. The wood stain is red mahogany so I used red enamel for the stripes. For a first time not toooo bad. Shouldn't have put clear over them though so will probably have to redo them eventually.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #55]

Pages (57): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.