I finally finished both sides of the hood panels. Moved them back to the cowl some and trimmed for a better gap. Both sides were shaped to fit the cowl better and shortened a little. I tried to smooth out the area around the louvers and where the new metal had been added. Each side now also has a bracket to hold it at the front as well.
Taking a break from body work on the hood panels. It has bothered me for some time that I couldn't use the shifter I had made due to its weight causing down shifts. It was replaced with the original B&M shift lever, but I still wanted something of my own. An idea cooked around in my head after I made that little hood prop from scrap aluminum shelving. So this is what I did...
(1) I bent some pieces of the alum. channel (see profile) to match the heavy 1st shifter's 1/2 " rod. As I wanted a connecting rod profile I used two pieces back to back.
(2) This mockup looked good/right to me.
(3) I used the same beveled holes, 1 inch apart. I like this. Now, what to do for a bolt through the piston, clean and polish it all, and wait til spring to see if it works. It looks bigger but is a LOT lighter, and seems proportional with the piston
The new sheet metal is now tacked on and the next step is to set the hood side where it needs to stay and trim the edge for a good gap, or at least a better one. The hood side curve now fits the curve of the cowl much better as well. I have also added a tab to the front of the panel to better tighten it, at the bottom of the front. Welded on the inside it will set down over the radiator support bolt, although I may "slot" the bolt hole to make for easier mounting. I also need to come up with a way to mount the turn signal lights independent of the hood panel to make removal easier. The idea is to have the lights poke through into the light pods.
I also wanted to add for some time but kept getting cut off by my computer...too slow. I started this journal to share what I was doing any way, which was to document (magazine style) my project. This was before I knew there was a place to "post", or how to do it. I had hoped to contact others with similar builds, you know "how is yours coming along...am I doing this right". I am not a pro as you can tell from my project so if you are building some thing like mine let me know. Thanks for stopping by
The plan is to reshape the hood sides to better fit the cowl. The 1/2" rod I used for the "flair" is pretty hard to bend but I think I finally got a better line. The sheet metal needed to be extended to close the gap some. I cut off the part that was added to the original hood side and made a new wider piece. The metal came from the scrap bin of a body shop and has a pretty good contour already. It will get tacked together and then the "flair" will get refilled and primed. The same fate awaits the other side.
As planned, my son came home for deer season and welded the bracket back on. I ground the welds down and did some filling and sanding and primed, then painted the bracket area. I also while I was there, cleaned and repainted the sping. There seems to be enough clearance for the tie rod but had to shorten the panhard bar. The move forward on the frame meant it was narrower and the bar was too long for any adjustment.