As I just wrote, my friend Richard is multi-talented. He has been in several magazines with his award winning custom motorcycles as well as several wood working publications with his projects and plans. His current projects include a chopper for his wife and this boat tail tricycle with hand formed 'glass body eventually to be in neon yellow green paint and chrome. These are the two shifter knobs he made for me, I think they're terrific! Thanks Richard (photo) for all the help, advice, and friendship.
My good friend Richard is an excellent body man and has given me loads of advice and lessons in how to do what I needed for my project. He is also an extremely talented wood worker. His music boxes and original toys are works of art. Having seen some intriguing wood turning at a recent art fair I was inspired to ask about turning a shifter knob for my rod. It has bugged me no end that my attempts at making an interesting shifter have failed big time. So I thought an original knob would do the trick and I was right. From an idea of what I wanted he turned an example from maple which I thought was great. He had me order a laminated blank, set up the lathe and made the initial cuts. Then gave me lessons in wood turning. But most of the work was his, turned, sanded, polished and wax-shellac sealed. I love the result. I put a temporary cartoon covered by plexi in the top relief which will be replaced by a laser cut icon of my garage logo.
Went to another local car show about an hour away. Good group from a local car club, about 50-60 cars, lots of resto and customs but only a few street rods. It was really cool and windy all day but at least it didn't rain. Had fun visiting with friends, making plans for where to go next, and driving the hot rod.
Like a lot of the country we've had a bunch of rain in the last weeks. I wasn't sure about Saturday but chanced it anyway and went to another local show. Picked up my friend Bill and drove over to LakeLand College for Big Al's show. Good turn out for the very cloudy weather and it didn't start to rain until the awards were over. The fix on my turn signal worked. Now all I need to do is secure the wiring better and get back on pre-paint. And remember to anticipate rain and put on the wiper blade.
I had some time off from my farm flunky job and was able to get some work done on the grill section picked up at last weekend's swap meet. It turns out under the blue green paint the chrome was pretty fair. I cut off the top bar which is what I had been using from the grill that came with my original cab buy. The new one was cleaned up with a wire brush on an angle grinder and some dings were pecked out a best as I could. After some trial fitting adjustments the bottom bar was cut away from the grill section and cleaned the same way. This bar will not clear the tube grill so will need to be trimmed allowing it go back against the tubes and shimmed to raise the back side to align with hood etc.. The first pic has my old powder coated grill bar on top, the second is a better shot of the bottom bar. I tried on the newer bar and put a red tape stripe where the original would have had paint. Now to decide which bar to run, paint will be added to the larger bar in the stock stamping.