Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 264
Views: 68149
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (53): 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

08-27-2013 09:15 AM 122-18 The Follies
The problem for me when driving to car show events in Indiana is that they have several time zones. It is roughly a two hour drive from my home in east central Illinois over and down to Evansville Indiana. I can never remember if the time there is central, so do I lose an hour or not for arrival time? Of course it doesn't really matter as long as we get there, but this time we were to meet up with friends who were going in to the show with us. At any rate we left at 5:00 am cdt and everything worked out. It was a great day and a great show as it always is. Thousands of pre '48 cars and trucks makes for a full day of walking and looking and trying to see as much of it all as possible. A popular pastime at shows this size is to set up some place where you can see all the entries as they enter and leave, a parade of hot rods, street rods, and customs rolling past. Our parking spot had a great view. We managed to meet with see many car show friends and see some really incredible machines, dozens of vendors and a huge swap meet. The drive both ways went well with no problems. Home again and ready to go again next weekend.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #244]

08-19-2013 10:13 AM 121-17 Part two, the other show
The second show on Saturday was about 70 miles from the first show. Passing through my home town we happened to catch up with friends Fuzzy and JD when they were stopped for gas. We made a cool cruise as we all drove north again, a '46 Chevy hot rod, a '33 Plymouth sedan delivery, a '36 Chevy pick up, and a '32 Ford highboy coupe. We all enjoyed the waves and curious stares as the group passed through. At the show we pulled in and parked together and enjoyed the rest of the evening. Fuzzy, JD, and Coolman were awarded at both shows. One of the high lights of this show is the four hambuger meals included with the entry. The evening wound up with a cake walk, auction, and awards presentation after which we all headed home. My temp gauge stayed in the 180 range both trips but there was still some spillage on entering the second show which just drives me nuts...it wasn't over heating so what gives???????

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #243]

08-19-2013 10:01 AM 120-16 Part 1, a twofer
A two part report this time. Left Saturday morning on a sixty mile drive south to attend a car show that was off and on again over the last year. There were over 100 entries of every king scattered through a shady park. The weather was comfortable, over cast with one two minute sprinkle, but made for a pleasant day. The ''old guys'' split up by attending separate shows in the morning with the possibility of meeting up at an evening show. The drive down went well with no problems over high temps on the gauge. I was able to visit with a friend and see his much anticipated roadster project at the show. An accomplished engine builder, I learned all about the hot vintage small block in his real '32. He was presented one of our ''old guys with hot rods'' hats in honor of his long history in hotrodding. After mentioning the plan to attend a second show that evening, another occasional fellow attendee asked to follow along back north in his '33 purple Plymouth after the awards presentation was over. So we loaded up and headed up the highway.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #242]

08-12-2013 09:09 AM 119-15 Back at it
Just last weekend I put several hundred miles on the hot rod and now we're back on the road again to yet another car show. The weather was fine, a little humid but clear. This show drew about 60-70 cars and also showed a big collection of antique tractors and steam engines which ran all day putting and chuffing. The drive was uneventful and the heat demon must be exorcized as the temp stayed at 180 both ways, there and back. On the whole a good day of hot rodding. A couple of bigger shows coming up this month one of which will be the Frog Follies.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #241]

08-07-2013 07:25 AM 118-14 NSRA Nats
The last three times I've driven my hot rod to the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville KY I went alone. This time I drove down and back with company, my friend Fuzzy in his '36 Chevy truck and friend Bill with me. The trip didn't seem nearly as long. We tried hard Friday and Saturday to see everything there was to see. There were over ten thousand entries so we may have missed a couple. We were able to spend nights with my youngest son and he rode into the expo center in the back of Fuzzy's truck as we were one too many to fit inside. We all had a great time. This was Bill and Fuzzy's first trip to the Nationals and I think they were impressed, not only by the number of cars but also by the incredible variety of individual efforts. We each had favorite styles and I've posted a couple of mine. The trip down was uneventful and without breakage in spite of the bloodthirsty traffic on I-65 and road surfaces never meant for solid axle hot rods. The return trip was better as we left very early and missed the traffic through Louisville. We enjoyed the company of passing street rods waving and sharing camera shots on I-64, and arrived home safe and damage free. It seemed that even my heating issues worked out as the temp gauge stayed 180-190 the whole trip with no puddles.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #240]

Pages (53): 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53