Just catching up on my journal entries. With lots of help I was able to install claw latches and make them work the stock door handles inside and out. The first trip lever maybe worked too well as it didn't take any effort at all to unlatch the door. The second version which used a modified part from the original latch took more movement to trip the latch. Now I feel a little more sure that the door won't unlatch by accident. The latch lever is pushed down by the yellow lever which also attaches to the strap which goes to the inside handle. Now it all works just like stock, only alot better. I also finished up on the hood side by extending the nose down a little which surrounds the grill better I think. Now on to the bed and paint...but time is getting close to DRIVING SEASON. Gotta hurry!!
The newest version of my home made shift lever is done. At least until I find out if it works on the road. As the shaft is aluminum and I'm not sure of its strength I fabbed up two small steel brackets that sandwich the area where it fastens to the shifter works. I used two carriage bolts for the piston for a smoother look than regular bolts. Here it's stuck in the boot to see how it looks, I like it and sure hope it doesn't down shift. The weight seems to about the same as the stock lever in the first picture. If all goes well then I will evenually make a new one and be lots more careful about the holes and scratches and finish.
I finally finished both sides of the hood panels. Moved them back to the cowl some and trimmed for a better gap. Both sides were shaped to fit the cowl better and shortened a little. I tried to smooth out the area around the louvers and where the new metal had been added. Each side now also has a bracket to hold it at the front as well.
Taking a break from body work on the hood panels. It has bothered me for some time that I couldn't use the shifter I had made due to its weight causing down shifts. It was replaced with the original B&M shift lever, but I still wanted something of my own. An idea cooked around in my head after I made that little hood prop from scrap aluminum shelving. So this is what I did...
(1) I bent some pieces of the alum. channel (see profile) to match the heavy 1st shifter's 1/2 " rod. As I wanted a connecting rod profile I used two pieces back to back.
(2) This mockup looked good/right to me.
(3) I used the same beveled holes, 1 inch apart. I like this. Now, what to do for a bolt through the piston, clean and polish it all, and wait til spring to see if it works. It looks bigger but is a LOT lighter, and seems proportional with the piston
The new sheet metal is now tacked on and the next step is to set the hood side where it needs to stay and trim the edge for a good gap, or at least a better one. The hood side curve now fits the curve of the cowl much better as well. I have also added a tab to the front of the panel to better tighten it, at the bottom of the front. Welded on the inside it will set down over the radiator support bolt, although I may "slot" the bolt hole to make for easier mounting. I also need to come up with a way to mount the turn signal lights independent of the hood panel to make removal easier. The idea is to have the lights poke through into the light pods.
I also wanted to add for some time but kept getting cut off by my computer...too slow. I started this journal to share what I was doing any way, which was to document (magazine style) my project. This was before I knew there was a place to "post", or how to do it. I had hoped to contact others with similar builds, you know "how is yours coming along...am I doing this right". I am not a pro as you can tell from my project so if you are building some thing like mine let me know. Thanks for stopping by