The new sheet metal is now tacked on and the next step is to set the hood side where it needs to stay and trim the edge for a good gap, or at least a better one. The hood side curve now fits the curve of the cowl much better as well. I have also added a tab to the front of the panel to better tighten it, at the bottom of the front. Welded on the inside it will set down over the radiator support bolt, although I may "slot" the bolt hole to make for easier mounting. I also need to come up with a way to mount the turn signal lights independent of the hood panel to make removal easier. The idea is to have the lights poke through into the light pods.
I also wanted to add for some time but kept getting cut off by my computer...too slow. I started this journal to share what I was doing any way, which was to document (magazine style) my project. This was before I knew there was a place to "post", or how to do it. I had hoped to contact others with similar builds, you know "how is yours coming along...am I doing this right". I am not a pro as you can tell from my project so if you are building some thing like mine let me know. Thanks for stopping by
The plan is to reshape the hood sides to better fit the cowl. The 1/2" rod I used for the "flair" is pretty hard to bend but I think I finally got a better line. The sheet metal needed to be extended to close the gap some. I cut off the part that was added to the original hood side and made a new wider piece. The metal came from the scrap bin of a body shop and has a pretty good contour already. It will get tacked together and then the "flair" will get refilled and primed. The same fate awaits the other side.
As planned, my son came home for deer season and welded the bracket back on. I ground the welds down and did some filling and sanding and primed, then painted the bracket area. I also while I was there, cleaned and repainted the sping. There seems to be enough clearance for the tie rod but had to shorten the panhard bar. The move forward on the frame meant it was narrower and the bar was too long for any adjustment.
So here's the problem, on hard left turns the tie rod hits the panhard bar mount. I cut the mount off after practically removing the front end and plan to move it forward to the frame spring clearance notch. I'll need to check for the axle not hitting the bolt that holds the panhard bar in the mount. The mount and frame will get ground clean for welding. My son will finish welding it when he comes in a week or so. This is one of my problems with building stuff is that you don't know how things will work until you've done it...then you need to take it apart and do it again because it didn't.
Drove the hot rod an hour or so away to another local car show, great fall day for a drive. It was sunny and cool and several cars showed up. Had some trouble getting past the parade and by the time we arrived I had picked up lots of splashes from puddles. Should have wiped everything down but didn't. I get a kick out of the guys that shine and polish on their cars the whole show, I would rather drive. No problems on the trip, had a good time, saw some nice (and clean) cars, visited with interested people. The new hood prop worked. Now I need to start a list of fixes and things to do to get ready for body work and paint this winter.