I started out with an old SBC oil pan to make a trans tunnel. I've seen this done and liked it. I trimmed the front to hopefully match the angle of the toe board and then cut a hole for the shifter mechanism (B&M) which sticks up about two inches. I used the plastic mini consol and boot from an Aries for a template. I also had planned to mount an old Sun Super Tach there so rolled some sheet and tacked/ molded it in.
Just some better pictures with the headers on for test fit, they will get lengthened out from the flange about 3 inches and the collector will get 8 inches to house the mufflers. I think I have finally fixed the brake leaks, fabbed and installed the trans vacuum line, and replaced the faulty headlite switch. Still tracking down elec. problems, turn signal/hazard/brake circuit and finding neutral on the shifter to make sure the NSS is right.
The plan is to cut the tubes where they are flat and straight as they come out from the flange, add 3 inches, and put back together. I also hope to put another 6 inches on the collector to house the muffler.
Too many things are not progressing quickly so I thought I would put the hood on and just enjoy what it would look like if I could actually drive it. I still need to fab some way to hold the hood on and find a way to replace the support at the front of the hood as it was in the stock form. As the philosopher said "it's always something...". Now I need to check the Knowledge Base for tips on how to stop all the brake leaks that I've tried to fix several times.
I've been fighting with the wiring, due mostly to ignorance on my part and too many circuits I don't need. I finally finished hooking up the gauges and I think this is the last of the major items. I tried some tests (see the elect. posts) but now I just need to put a battery in it and find out if anything works. I'm at the point where I think alot of 1st time builders give up...too many little things that I didn't know about have to be done when I thought I was almost finished.
I gave up on trying to build lakes headers, I'm licked trying to get all that round to fit together. So I bought a different style thinking to be, well different. Of course my record is still holding, they don't fit with the wider than a roadster body so I deed to modify. Fortunately this will only envolve straight cut and welds to move the down tubes out enough to pass the rockers.
I keep taking care of little things that need done. Finished the brake lines to the MC and made some little line holders from scrap, put on the radiator/hood braces. The first layer of insulation is done. Found out the garnish moldings for the doors won't fit with my new glass so I'm going to cut them down I guess. What I'm really doing is stalling, working up the nerve to tackle the wiring kit...confused and dazed by all that wire.