Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 287
Views: 72771
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (58): 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

11-19-2013 09:09 AM Winter Fixes 1
I have started on the winter list of things to do on the hot rod now that car shows are over and my garage project is finished. I can't believe how much room I have now to work on/around the hot rod. The headers have come off and the primer coat of paint is applied although not cured as yet. I also intend to try to smooth out the front suspension and ride. After some measuring and research I decided my shocks need more travel. By measuring between the bulges in the body of the shock it appears the shaft is 5 inches. At ride height now there is only two inches of shaft showing. I'm informed there should be 2/3 to 3/5's of the shaft extended for proper travel-which should be 3.2 inches of the 5. My plan is to raise the shock mount enough to achieve the correct measurement. My first thought was to cut the mount off and move it up and maybe notch it over the frame as the pizza box cutout shows. This would have added a bit more angle though. My son had a better idea of just extending the mount instead of removing it. This will give me the longer travel but even better will mount the shock more vertically. It also turned out after removal that my original shocks were dead, probably beat to death. So I have ordered new shocks.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #257]

10-21-2013 11:21 AM The last one of the season
It was such a beautiful fall day that I drove the hot rod to a nearby state park for a car people picnic. I didn't take a potluck contribution as I had no plans to stay, but just wanted to see who was there and take some pictures. By noon only about 25 cars had shown up, mostly of the antique variety. I greeted some car show friends and took a few photos and then drove back home. I have to wait for the ceiling and lights to go in on my garage addition project before I make the hot rod stationary for winter fixes. First on the list is to remove the shock brackets on the front end and raise them for more travel, hoping for a little softer ride.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #256]

10-16-2013 03:39 PM 132-28 Festival and airport
You may have guessed that I like festival car shows as much for the food as the cars. This one had great BBQ brisket. The car show was located in parking lots around the court house which made it a little odd getting in and out due to the parade blockades and many vendors booths.I can't complain as usual about the rough roads as this trip was maybe the smoothest this summer. I won't even gripe about the rain, at least it was easy and gentle for an hour instead of blowing sideways with constant lightening. It did shorten the day somewhat with early awards. There was even plenty of time to stop by another show at an airport on the way home. They seemed really happy to see three hot rods come rumbling in and we had a good time visiting and watching a crew of firemen cut up a car. A complete day. And added show number 133-29 so far this season.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #255]

10-10-2013 10:27 AM 131-27 Stormy weather
About 50 or so entries showed up for this festival car show around the town square. I don't know if you would call it a trend but it's cool none the less. My friend Tom showed up with his wife in their his and hers '65 Mustangs. Also on hand were Jim and Dianne in their pair of matching Fords. Both sets include sedan and convertible. It started out to be a typical fall day, ideal for the parade although threats of weather held vendor and car show attendance down. I enjoyed seeing my grandson once again in his junior high marching band. In my opinion the trouble with a points system in car judging is that it takes too long and this day was a good example as the anticipated storm hit hard while the final judging and tabulation was still going on. Those of us not brave enough to drive home in constant lightening and sideways rain were crowded into a small pavilion for the duration. When the weather let up enough I split in hopes that my house in a near by town had survived with the windows all open. Unfortunately the too fast rain had flooded a lot of intersections so it was water thrown over the roof by unfendered tires and windows steamed inside and out by the splashes on the headers. No harm done and everything dried out. They are cars and they don't melt.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #254]

09-30-2013 10:31 AM 130-26 Another Festival
The drives to car shows are getting adventurous. This show was a little difficult to get to due to the need to take the long way around road construction. It didn't help at all that the last 16 miles was through an area of yard sales on both sides of the road, with people large and small walking across each way. Add doors opening and sale goers pulling out or stopping. But I made it there and back without incident. The car show part of the festival drew 134 entries on a nice fall day. The wards were unique, not that my hot rod got one, in that about 50 large thermos bottles were given out. I don't know if they were imprinted or not. But it would have been cool of they were. I enjoyed the day, enjoyed the fire departments BBQ, and people watched all day. Another festival car show is planned for next weekend.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #253]

Pages (58): 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58