Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: zonk's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View zonk's profile Entries: 32
Views: 62762
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

01-15-2006 04:51 AM Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Hopefully showing some plans for the bender I made

The base is 3x5 angle iron 38 inches I notched for the pivot pins 1/2in x1 inch using 1 inch diameter then tig welded on straight and centered as possible.
Also milled .040 off of edge to get straight edge.

The bending angle 3x3 angle iron 38 inches, notched for the pivot pins also milled .040 off of the 90 degree edge to get a straight edge.

The pivot plates are 1/2 inch 4x4 1/2 need 2. The hole center is 2 1/2 up, 2 1/4 in from side also used a 1 3/8 od x 1 in id oillite bushing , trim to suit.

The hold down angle is 3 x3 x 1/4 angle iron milled .040 off one edge to get straight edge. Also milled 1/2 wide slots 1 1/2 in long to allow adjustment in and out depending on thinckness metal.
Plus some gussets and 1 in square tubing

This has a working surface of around 35 inches.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #32]

01-08-2006 06:33 AM Home Made Sheetmetal bender
It isn't perfect it doesn't have the ability to make box breaks how ever perhaps a person could cut different length angle iron or something and clamp them in place to make box brakes if needed.

It has a working suface of around 34 inches. I wanted some thing basic and easy to move I c-clamp to a couple of saw horses. Some 3x5 angle where welded underneath for some legs.

These 2 pieces both about 24 inches wide. 1 is 20ga the other is 17ga. CRS. You have to do alittle experimenting on how close to put the hold down angle to allow it to bend depending on thickness.

Again it is nothing fancy just a basic bender. I suppose a person could make it any lenght they wanted ro different variations to suit their needs. Alot of it was made up as I went. I figured if I could do around 16ga depending on the width I'd be happy.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #31]

01-08-2006 06:22 AM Home Made Sheetmetal bender
The holddown angle again I used 3x3x1/4 angle around 37 inches long notched to clear the pivot pins. I also slotted 1/2 wide by 1 1/2 slottes on the ends to adjust it in and out fo what thickness metal using. Milled .020 off the edge to try and get straight. Also drilled and tap to use 1/2 bolts to hold it down.
Also added some gussets and some 1 in square tubing to try and keep it form lifting up alittle in the middle when bending. Still seems to lift up alittle.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #30]

01-08-2006 06:15 AM Home Made Sheetmetal bender
The hardest part I had was getting the bending angle to pivot without hitting. Alot of tack weld cutoff do over.
Somehow it came up with when the pivot at rest position the bending angle is about 1/8in below the top of the base with about 1/16 in gap in between.
When the bending angle is brought up it comes nice and tight into the base edge it goes about 10 -20 degrees past 90.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #29]

01-08-2006 06:08 AM Home Made Sheetmetal bender
The pivot ends I used 1/2 inch thick steel 4inch tall 4 1/2 wide.
The center of the pivot is 2 1/2 in up and 2 1/4 inch in from the side. I also used a 1 3/8 od x 1in id oillite bushing. The bending angle was then welded to the pivot ends.
The last 2 pics show underneath the bending angle welded to the pivot ends.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #28]

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7