Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: zonk's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View zonk's profile Entries: 32
Views: 63516
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (7): 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

01-08-2006 05:59 AM Home Made Sheetmetal bender
This is a sheetmetal bender I made using 3x5x1/4 angle and 3x3x1/4 angle
The base is made out of the 3x5 38 inches long .040 was milled off of the edge to try and get a straight edge. The ends where notched 1/2 inch down 1 inch in on both sides for the pivot pins. I used 1 inch diameter socket head bolts they where 4 inches long but I cut them down to the smooth shank 1 1/2 inches long. The pins where tig welded in have to be sure to get straight and centered as possible.

The bending angle I used 3x3x1/4 angle 38 inches long. also milled .040 off the 90 degree edge again to try and get a straight edge. It is also notched to clear the pivot pins.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #27]

09-22-2005 10:02 AM Primer and Sanding
Primer and Sand.......Sand and Primer will it ever end!!

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #26]

08-04-2005 03:56 PM 9 inch ford homemade disc brakes
Some more pics of my disc brake setup

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #25]

08-04-2005 03:55 PM 9 inch ford homemade disc brakes
This setup is on my coupe have used it for over 15,000 miles. This is on a 1957 Ford Rearend

A friend had some brake brackets for 3 inch tube you can find them any where Speedway has them. I used Lincoln Verseai rotors, but I did find out 90 jeep rear waggoner rotors 3 inch tall,11 inch dia, 5 - 4 1/2 bolt pattern Car Quest p/n 5115 would also work. You might have to knotch brackets for small flange on calipers, also possibly open up opening more that goes onto axle tube to be sure brake pads are not sticking up above rotors. I used mid seventies gm front calipers I believe for a 76 impala. Put calipers together bolt to brackets and place over rotors. Put some lug nuts on studs to be sure rotors are on tight,also you might have to do some minor machining on inside of rotors to be sure rotors are flat against the axle. Apply some air pressure to caliper to firmly snug them to rotors and align up, tack in place release air pressure look everything over and rotate be sure everything turns ok and looks straight. I made some gussets and added them too. Be sure and put retainer bolts through axles flange in case can't get bolts in after welding,also placed some washers between axle flange and retainer to makeup space for backing plate. You also might have to put in longer wheels studs. Also used a brake fitting from Parts America or Advance Auto parts p/n 327853 7/16-20 to 3/16 hard line, be sure and use a copper washer I also used small amount of silicone pipe sealant. One thing to be aware of is the bleader vent for calipers be sure they are pointing up. I'm using manual brakes, had to use a small bore m/c to get enough pressure to stop good.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #24]

07-15-2005 11:03 AM 1947 chevy sedan delivery Gas Tank
Process of making stainless gas tank, located at the original location behind seats, around 14 gallons. Still have to weld top on not knowinf for sure where to locate fill neck hole and draw tube hole.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #23]

Pages (7): 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7