I have been working on the Plymouth a bit also. Finished the metal work on the running boards,the front fender to running board mounts,did the heat shrink/welding work on the front fenders.Put a little rattle can etch on the areas I finished with for the time being to keep them from rusting. Made the spider caps finally.I had bought a set,did not like how big they were,so used the mount brackets,and tig welded some smaller chrome bullets to them.Added some bullet lug nuts,and ended up with a look I wanted.going to paint the bracket itself the color the wheels will be,but leave the center bullet chrome,so it should look like its floating in the center of the bullet lugs. The yellow tape on the side is to give me an idea what it might look like with a side molding running down the side of the car.
Been running around in the '48 for a while now.Running the 3 strombergs with scoops and bug domes on the carbs,I really like the look,but the lack of air cleaners has always bothered me a bit,especially when cleaning up the engine and seeing how much dirt build up there is on the scoops. While we were in Louisville at the Nationals,I came across the O'Brien Truckers booth. They had some cool finned top air cleaners for stombergs.So after thinking it over all weekend,I ended up buying a set of them. I painted them to match the valve covers.
Have been pretty busy,spent the rest of march and all of April getting the '48 ready to go to GoodGuys in Nashville in May.Wet sanded and cleared the truck finally(still needs buffed).Tied up a bunch of loose odds and ends before the trip.Made it there and back with a couple of minor hiccups,but the truck over all performed very well on the trip.
One thing did happen that I never could imagine would happen......the '48 was picked as an award winner at the show. I was very surprised to say the least.......
Cleaned up the shop so I could finish up a couple of things on the '48 before I start driving her again. One of the things I needed to address was the lack of a pcv valve.had a couple of problems to solve first.....the strombergs don't have vacuum ports,and there are no holes in the valve covers.Also,I did not want a big breather like piece on the valve cover,I like how clean the engine looks right now. I found a place that makes spacers for the carbs with a vacuum port.Ended up with a set of them. They are 1 inch tall. Found a small inline pcv valve,and used a small chrome 90 degree fitting for the valve cover. Ended up drilling a small hole in the valve cover,and used a nut to secure the fitting to the cover. Put it at the front,so the alternator helps hide it.Routed the hose down by the water pump,added the pcv valve and back up to the center carb spacer. Over all I pretty happy with the set up.