Like I have said before,this car has been and still is a learning platform for me.With that being said, I have been reworking the rear suspension....again.I think this makes 5 revisions now.Started with leafs,went to coil overs,redid the coil overs properly,switched to air ride,redid the air ride properly,yup, think that makes 5. For the air ride,I used the system I already had,which was for another vehicle.I just used the parts from the kit and made them work.I set the bags up compressed,and installed the parts. I like how it looked air out,but what I did not think about was the ride height the bags were designed for.In order to get the car to have the clearance to drive,the bags had to be fully inflated to their maximum capacity.That means the ride quality would been zero. I ended up ordering a different set of upper and lower brackets and installed them 3 inches lower, in the frame.This allowed me to set them up at proper ride height for the bags,and for the car.
To keep the car from rusting,I had coated it with WD40. As I work on the different areas,I have been cleaning them,and spraying on rattle can metal etch. This will keep it from rusting,and also lets me see a bit better how things are looking. Also lets me feel like Im getting somewhere too.
This is a project that has been going on for a LONG time for me.I have learned a lot from working on this car,(actually,still am learning.....). That also means there are a number of things that I did to it in the past that I need to deal with,and hopefully correct. One of those areas are the rear fenders.I had widened them and welded them to the body almost 20 years ago. More recently,I rotated the wheel openings and extended the lower sections of them. So they have been welded,ground,hammered,etc. They have the basic shape I wanted,but they needed a lot of work to have them look like I want when they are finished. So I spent a few days with a number of hammers,dollies,torch,mig and tig trying to fix them.I ground down the remaining welds,then used the torch to heat shrink all the "fat" areas. Also used the torch to flatten out the areas I added metal to. I used the mig,and tig to weld the seams that had been missed years ago,and fix some of the thin spots. Once I had that done,I made some passes over the areas with a grinder. Once I got it to the point I wanted it,I sprayed on some rattle can etch to keep it from rusting. Now,these are far from perfect,there is only so much I can do with what I have to work with.Not all the areas are as nice as I would like,but it will take a minimal amount of filler the finish them out.