To keep the car from rusting,I had coated it with WD40. As I work on the different areas,I have been cleaning them,and spraying on rattle can metal etch. This will keep it from rusting,and also lets me see a bit better how things are looking. Also lets me feel like Im getting somewhere too.
This is a project that has been going on for a LONG time for me.I have learned a lot from working on this car,(actually,still am learning.....). That also means there are a number of things that I did to it in the past that I need to deal with,and hopefully correct. One of those areas are the rear fenders.I had widened them and welded them to the body almost 20 years ago. More recently,I rotated the wheel openings and extended the lower sections of them. So they have been welded,ground,hammered,etc. They have the basic shape I wanted,but they needed a lot of work to have them look like I want when they are finished. So I spent a few days with a number of hammers,dollies,torch,mig and tig trying to fix them.I ground down the remaining welds,then used the torch to heat shrink all the "fat" areas. Also used the torch to flatten out the areas I added metal to. I used the mig,and tig to weld the seams that had been missed years ago,and fix some of the thin spots. Once I had that done,I made some passes over the areas with a grinder. Once I got it to the point I wanted it,I sprayed on some rattle can etch to keep it from rusting. Now,these are far from perfect,there is only so much I can do with what I have to work with.Not all the areas are as nice as I would like,but it will take a minimal amount of filler the finish them out.
Raised the car up on jack stands to make it easier to work on the lower areas,and underneath. Fixed the lower rear areas of the front fenders where they meet the running boards.Also cleaned up the main parts of the running boards.Also makes it easier to clean up around/under the car.....
Been working on a few things including the exhaust.Having the car sit so low with the bags dumped,I ended up using a pair of mufflers from Spintech,they are the thinest mufflers I could find, and some of their 3" oval tube. Used some tabs from Deeds Engineering to mount the system,they are pretty trick and have a bushing that can handle up to 500 degrees. Added some mounts to bolt everything to frame. Made some cutouts in the running boards for the tips to stick out.