In the process of doing the radiator mods,I ended up calling a buddy of mine.He has alot more aluminum tig welding experiance than me, so I thought he could help me get the welder set up right.I showed him my plan,and he suggested a little different approach...........the first picture is for reference,the others are the piece I ended up cutting out.
The radiator I bought for this project,I chose for a couple of reasons. Cost,of course, actual physical dimensions,and the fact its aluminum.I figured if its aluminum,I could modify it if nessessary. well that is going to be the case.The lower hose outlet dumps right into my front spring. My solution was to alter the outlet,(cut off) and put a new one in at a better angle.
With all the holiday goings on, and getting busy at work, the progress has slowed down alittle more than I would like. But I still have made some progress. I managed to get all the front sheet metal bolted together in stead of being held by spot welds. Also got the main radiator mounts bolted in.Fabricated a fan shroud and mounts for the electric fan.
To make the body line,I actually started by welding the upper part of the hood over the lower.When I pushed the lower in,it slid under the upper piece. Then with it welded together,I ran another piece of tape and ground the weld along it producing a nice raised line. Its a little hard to get a picture of,but you can see it if you look close in these pictures.