After welding everthing up,it was time to clean things up a bit.I dressed all the welds on the outside of the gate,then did the same to the inside.I sprayed some rattle can metal etch on the inside to see what it looked like.
In order to fix my problem,I cut the ends of the raised panel out,and moved them towards the out side of the gate.I checked to see if the wreches fit,when they did I welded the pieces in thier new location.I made filler panels from the left over bedside pieces(saved them when I shortened the bed).With everything welded up,I still have I little more work to do before I can attach the skull.When I cut the panels loose, the gate twisted a bit,and also moved a little from welding.Hopefully tommorrow I will get the torches out and make a few shrinks to tighten eveything back up.
When I got the tail gate,it was,to put it nicely,in rough shape.I beat it back into shape best I could and also flattened out the ford script.I bought this skull/wrenches at a show a while back with the intention of installing it on the gate where the script should be.When I test fit it,the wrenches hung over the sides of the raised panel,that I didnt like.So I decided to fix the problem.
A few posts back I built the underfloor storage compartment for the battery at the front of the bed.While I have been working the bed sides,I also started making the compartments for the out sides. When all of them are made and the actual floor is installed I will finish seam sealing all the floor compartments,and make the access doors for them.