With the front sheet metal off,I can finally work on the cowl.Started by removing the strip that acted as a cushion for the hood and side panels.Then stripped the primer I put on years ago,and the factory paint. I cut the heads off the nails that held the cushion on,then welded up the spots.Then ground and dressed the welds.
With the front sheet metal out of the way,pulled the motor and trans too. Should not have to put them back in until final reassembly. Put the engine on a stand to work on it later,and put the trans on a car wheel dolly to make it easier to move around the shop when I need to.With these out,I can finish the firewall,tunnel and frame areas I could not reach with them in the car.
Moved up to the front, I have done everything I can with the front end on the car,so I ended up unbolting it and pulling it off. Back when I was working on the '48,I built a cart to mount the bed on to work on it.I built it with the idea I could use it to hold the front end of the '38 when the time came,well it actually worked out pretty good.Just had to add two short boards to hold the rear part of the fender. Its sets on it nice,and rolls very easy.I can work on it while its on there as well,being its screwed to the cart.
Installing the lights this way,I can adjust the light on the base itself,and also adjust the base on the tube. To sevice the bulb,I just have to take the 4 bolts off the base,and pull it out where its easier to work on.
With the dash pretty getting pretty close to what I want,I moved to the tail lights.I had already tunneled the fenders,but never made the actual mount.So I got to work....Using a repop of a '59 caddy light,it has 2 holes to mount it on its base.I made a simple mount out of flat steel,Drilled it to mount the light,then drilled 4 more holes to mount the plate to the tube welded in the fender. I took 4 weld nuts and lined them up on a scrap piece of the tube for spacing. I am doing this on the bench where its easier to work with.I fit the plate to the tube in the fender,and tacked the weld nuts in place. Then installed the light on the base and the base to the tube.