Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Bluepen's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Bluepen's profile Entries: 11
Views: 4521
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

05-25-2004 02:09 PM New rear rollpan installed
May 2004
I needed a new rear rollpan and nobody in the country makes one for my truck so I had to hand form it from 18 ga sheet metal. I made it with just hand tools since I don't have an E-wheel or anything else like that. I have never done anything like this before either but I guess it came out alright and screwed it in place after cutting the old one off. Well after doing allot of figuring and thinking about it I just went ahead and bought a wire welder. I had to install the new rear rollpan and a couple of other welding jobs and figured that after hauling it to a body shop and having it done for me and the other jobs it would cost me about the same so I just got one for myself. I took a couple of weeks to practice on some extra metal I had here in the shop. I haven't used a welder in about 20 some years and never a wire welder so I had to teach myself everything. No I'm not going to show a pic of the weld job(it works but it was flat out ugly). Got it it filled where I needed and just covered with some self ecth primer for now, gotta figure out which taillights I want to use now.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #11]

04-11-2004 04:59 PM Flamin' the cans
March 2004
Well I've been doing a bunch of odds and ends stuff lately but now its time to keep a promise. My daughters went with me to a show/swap meet and saw some cars with flames on them and said that they would look cool on the truck(they are 13/14). So I said I would just do just a small job on the headlight cans. Being a first time car painter and never doing anything like this before I had to do allot of research and studying before I tried it. Well with the help of an article from Street Rod Builder and some of the fine folks on the board I felt I was ready to try. I started by scuffing the base paint with some 1000 grit and laid out the flames a couple of times till I like them with 1/8" fineline tape. Covered the rest and started painting with my touch up gun. I started with the white then the magenta on to the yellow and the orange was last. All this was followed with three coats of clear. I think they came out pretty good and the girls have given their approval so I must have done something right.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #10]

03-26-2004 11:40 AM More odds and ends to do
Febuary 2004
Well now since I know the engine runs and thats out of the way I'm just doing some odds and ends work. The first was the dash board. When I got the truck it was painted white so I stripped it and cleaned up a couple of bad spots in it. Repainted it the burgundy color I needed. I also made the insert for the instruments from oak with cherry trim on both ends. After I got that painted I finished the front end by mounting the sway bar. After I did that I figured that I might as well get the inside of the doors painted so I could put those back on and out of my shed.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #9]

03-19-2004 02:59 PM Lets make some noise here
February 2004
OK, I've got the interior done so now it time to make some noise.
After I tore the motor down and set it in the frame its just kinda been there, I had not started it to this point. Well I have a EZwire kit under the dash ready for the wires to be run but no other wire in the whole truck. So I got a few small parts that I needed to start the engine in place. It came with a 850 CFM Holly but I'm going to change that out to a 625 Demon later. Well after setting everything up got it started with very little problem. Dropped right in to a nice smooth idle with good oil pressure so I'm happy now.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

03-19-2004 02:55 PM More interior work
January 2004
Got the headliner all in now and starting on the side walls. The PO had started some interior work on the truck by putting down a charcoal grey colored carpet. In the rear of the truck the carpet went about 1/3 the way up the walls from there up I've put oak walls, stained a golden oak, trimed out with cherry. Some of the trim had to be steam bent to fit the curves of the body. Took some work to get all the parts fitted but that is now complete.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #7]

Pages (3): [1] 2 3