One of the blaring problems when I got it was the blistering paint on the roof. Because I didn't want it to rust out anymore while I was having the frame made, I decided to strip it and have it repainted. From what I can tell, this car has never had the paint stripped and I think I can count about seven layers of paint.
More pictures of the frame and original shot of the old engine.
One of the first repairs I did was to fix the trunk hinges. Pretty easy to do but, one of the holes was out of round so, I had to fix the brace that held the hinge. While I was doing that, I almost stepped thru the trunk pan so, another item on the list.
I have my project posted on a couple of other forums (lateral-G and Pro-touring) but, that being said, I really like the support that I've received on this forum when I had a few questions.
I started with a 63 Biscayne with a 72 400 big block and TH 350 transmission. I picked up the car in Phoenix in March 2012 and drove the car to Kansas. When I looked underneath, It was easy to see that someone had done some crappy work on it. Instead of removing the rusted floor plans, they just threw the new (used) ones on the top and tacked them in. No worries, it was going to come apart anyways. The car had a 50 yard paint job and a decent looking interior.
When I moved to Pennsylvania, I dropped the car off at Schwartz Performance to have them build a custom frame for it. I picked it up from them in Feb 2013 and started the tear down. The frame is set up for rack and pinion, four wheel disc brakes and a Ford 9" rear end.
Here are the plans:
-Media blast and fix the rust, dents, etc.
-New wiring harness
-LS power. Thinking L76 and 6L80E but, will depend on what I can get a good deal on.
-New interior with Lexus powered heated seats