The trunk floor on my car has been needing some attention for awhile. The rear window seal was bad for many years and leaked water down it into the trunk. After many years it pitted the floor pretty good on the driver side back up by the seat. I took the trunk lid off and used three small containers of naval jelly and 4 scrub brushes cleaning the rust out. After I removed the rust I sanded the trunk down in preparation for epoxy primer. There are a few small rust holes but nothing major. Since they will not be seen and nothing will be put on this spot, I am just going to caulk the holes shut after epoxy primer.
I decided to do some work to the rear of the car, since I have some rust issues that need addressed. The first thing I done was took the trunk lid off and pulled out the old trunk lid seal. Was this thing ancient, I am sure it was the original one from 1973. After getting it out and cleaned up, I noticed I had some rust in the seal channel. At first I used naval jelly, but after many hours of scrubbing and getting nowhere, I decided to pulled out my hand sandblaster. Within a hour I had the rust removed from the channel and my mess cleaned up. The next thing I had to do was sand around the trunk jam. I figured it would be easier to just sand the whole tailight panel and paint the whole thing, then sand around just the trunk seal. After finishing this, I masked it up and tried to paint it. Well with too many factors against me, it didn't work, I hung curtains everywhere. The next day I spent a good portion of it, sanding my mess out. The following day, I masked it off in the morning, went to the parts store, bought PPG acrylic urethane and had it sprayed by noon. This time around I was pretty happy with the results, no more Omni for me.
When I had to move everything on the drop of a dime, like yesterday. My Mustang had to be put together as fast as possible, divorces have this effect. My poor car sat outside all summer long with no rear window, a tarp on it and on a flat bed trailer. Between work and my divorce, I was finally able to paint the rear window channel and installed the window with a new gasket.
I have finally welded on, filled and primed the passenger side quarter panel. I have also welded on the taillight panel and fit up the rear valance. The quarter panel turned out better than I expected it too. I have a little bit of tweaking to do on it, but I considered it almost done.
It has been a while since I added a entry on my 73 Mustang. Since the last entry I have replaced the taillight panel, passengers side wheel well and quarter panel. Removing the quarter panel and taillight panel was the easy part. The wheel well presented some problems. The wheel well on this car is two pieces welded together by a zipper like weld. These panels were solid. I tried everything I knew to get them separated, but no such luck. I then posted about it on the bulletin board and received the help needed. Within a few days I had the new wheel well, trunk drop off panel and taillight panel fitted, welded, seam sealed, weld though primed and ready for the quarter panel.