Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: One Month Wonder's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View One Month Wonder's profile Entries: 77
Views: 15632
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (16): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16

09-13-2009 03:28 PM More Flame Tests
Here's the latest installment of my attempts to airbrush flames. It's getting better, and I think I'm sort of getting the hang of it. The photo actually looks better than the actual sign blank. I've got about three or four days at the most and I'll have to do this for real on the hood and fenders of the truck. Cole is working pretty fast and the interior is almost complete. He'll be hanging the doors in the next day or so and then we'll be ready to see how everything is going to fit after all of the fabrication he did on the cowls. I thought I'd include a photo of my "Studio". I sure hope we're done before the cold weather shows up for real. More soon.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #27]

09-10-2009 09:20 PM Interior Painted
Whoa! Big stuff, the interior has paint on it. Not primer, paint. It's ready for skulls on the dash and then clear coats. YAY!!! Cole is burning rubber on this project. I watch this guy put out work that people are in utter awe of, and he does it from a two car garage and a tent. I marvel at the kind of work he'd be producing if he had a real shop and paint booth. Anyway, his work rocks and it's a pleasure watching someone that really knows what they are doing with customizing a vehicle. The 1939 Plymouth, that can be found at "ezinoregon's journal" is a sample of a hot rod he completed.

Okay, here's shorts of the interior and the door jamb with paint. It's actually a pretty cool color and I think it's going to look nice once it's all sprayed.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #26]

08-30-2009 03:18 PM finished cowels
Cole finished the cowel work on both sides. As noted in previous posts, the lower part of both cowels rusted out, along with the inner cowl and the brace that holds the whole thing together. It all had to be literally cut out, like a cancer, and new metal welded into place. I picked up replacement panels, but Cole said he had to do so much fitting with them that he could have fabricated them in the same amount of time. Oh well, at least they're on and we're in business. Cole expects to be ready to start laying on paint within the next week. We have to assemble everything, hood, fenders, doors, with the engine and transmission in, to make sure everythings going to fit right with the new sheet metal. Once we're sure then it all comes back apart for painting. Here's the finished cowels and a shot of the interior. Cole found rust all along the top of the dash. He said it looked like the windshield seal didn't get installed correctly the last time and it allowed rain and moisture to accumulate all along the intersection of the dash and the windshield mounting lip. Bummer, he scraped and sanded and wire wheeled for about four hours to clear it of all that rust. I've said it before and I'll say it again, rust is our enemy!!

Onward! Three more weeks and we expect to be done. A little more time than we anticipated at first, and a little more money. We thought one month and under $10,000. It's three months and about $12,000. But hey! For a complete hot rod build that is peanuts and the truck is going to look GOOD!


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #25]

08-30-2009 03:08 PM New Flame Test
Here's the third test of trying to airbrush flames. They're coming along and I like this attempt tons more than the last one. I'm getting the hang of it, good thing because Cole is saying he wants to be ready to shoot the flames in three days. WOW! Not much time to get my you know what together!!!


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #24]

08-25-2009 08:00 PM New Flame Test
Art is a crazy gig! One time you try something you think you're pretty good, the next time it comes out crap. Airbrushing is always a crap shoot with me for a couple of reasons. I don't know my materials, my airbrushes aren't up to snuff for one reason or another, although from the research I've done they are supposed to be decent enough, and lastly, my technique needs a couple of years practice. I don't have a couple of years, more like a couple of days. So we'll see. This is my second attempt at airbrushing a skull in the midst of flames. It's hard to do realistic flames on a light background I guess, and this time I did just that since I'll be painting them on a light background. I'm using a stencil for the skull, not because I don't think I could eventually draw one myself, but because of the time constraints. It still takes a lot of know how to use a stencil and in the end I am probably going to just do the flames and leave the skull out of it. I'm really not happy with this test, good thing it's just a test. Back to the drawing board!!


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #23]

Pages (16): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.