Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: One Month Wonder's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View One Month Wonder's profile Entries: 77
Views: 15276
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (16): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16

08-22-2009 08:03 PM Cab Work
The cab is done and ready to be primed. The dash doesn't come out on this year's model so it's being painted with the rest of the cab. I've been trying to figure out how to add skulls to the truck in different places. The truck is going to have flames, and a skull in the center of the front of the hood, surrounded by flames. I thought about doing another skull on the back of the cab just over the center of the rear window. We'll see about that. But I was trying to figure out how to get skulls on the dashboard. I'm not the best artist and my airbrush skills are minimal at best. I don't have any confidence I could do a pile of skulls with my airbrush and have them look as good as I would want. I looked for stencils, but they're expensive and pain in the butt. I found a decal that was exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about and we're going to see if we can lay that down between the base coat and clear coat on the dash. Who knows?? Heres photos of the work on the cab and dash.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #22]

08-22-2009 07:57 PM Fender Repair
Both front fenders had rust in the same area. Luckily, there are replacement panels for these notorious rust areas for these old Chevys. I bought replacement panels for the firewall and cowell, and also for the fenders, and probably a couple of others I'm not thinking of right now, but Cole, the hot rod builder doing the work on this project said the replacement panels were mostly crap. Bad welds and seams, mismatched to a degree that on the inner cowel replacement panels he had to do so much work he said he could have almost fabricated the panels for the same amount of effort and less money. Anyway, I'm happy because absolutely all of the rust is being eliminated. Rust is our enemy. I've been pretty disappointed at the amount of rust we found. Cole said that had the truck been left even another five years and we would have been buying new doors, new fenders, new cowels, and a new floor. Luckily for us we got it in time and now it's being preserved in professional fashion. To me it's a way to say "Here's to you" to my friend that died and left it to me. These are photos of the fenders before and after.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #21]

08-14-2009 11:16 PM Priming the Cab
The top of the cab has been prepped and Cole sprayed filler prime on it today. We're using the same tent we erected to paint the '39 Plymouth in (ezinoregon's journal) and it has really seen better days. The tarp we were using to cover the top and keep the rain out was tattered to shreds last month during an especially windy few days. Cole will do a great job, even it it has to be painted outside. So here's a photo of the tent we're going to paint it in, and a couple of the primed top of the cab. More to come!


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #20]

08-14-2009 11:12 PM getting rid of the rust
These are photos of the left fender and the rust that has eaten away the bottom of it. The right fender was the same, but we bought replacement panels for this part of the fenders and the photo of the right fender shows the new panel tacked in place ready for Cole to weld it and then the seam will get grinded and sanded to smooth it, then a little bondo on top of everything to completely hide the seam! More to come.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #19]

07-29-2009 12:43 PM Test Skull
Here's a photo of my first try at airbrushing a skull. I used a one layer stencil, but I actually made it a 3 layer stencil by cutting out the other two layers myself. It's rough, and needs work, but not too bad. The skull will be the center piece in the flames that are going on the hood. I also discovered lots of stuff going wrong with my Paashe airbrushes. I use Talon airbrushes and am not overly impressed with them up to this point. I talked to a tech guy at Paashe and he gave me some tips that I'll try and put into practice after we get back from Hot August Nights.

On a side note: We had to suspend work on the truck because the 1939 Plymouth we've been restoring and getting ready to try and sell at HAN developed huge blisters under the paint on the driver's door. If you're interested you can check out my project journal under "ezinoregon's journal", where I've documented everything. It's been a rush and we're going to be working up to the last minute getting that door done and back on in time for the Reno event. SOOO, the truck won't be getting anymore done to it until we get back from Reno. Dang it!!!!!


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #18]

Pages (16): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.