Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: One Month Wonder's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View One Month Wonder's profile Entries: 77
Views: 16028
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (16): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

07-15-2009 10:46 AM Rust Be Gone!
Cole finished the replacement panel repair on the drivers side kick panel, cowl, and firewall cowl. These areas were rusted out beyond repair and the cancerous areas needed to be cut out and replaced. I purchased repair panels from Long Motor Company Truck Parts that Cole bent, rolled, and fabricated to fit perfectly. These are photos of the three areas that were repaired. Finishing touches still need to be applied, ie, grinding, filler, etc. We're fast approaching the deadline date and still lots to do. We're having a custom drive shaft made, that will be balanced, and the correct length to fit the truck. The other thing we're going to need to have custom made is the exhaust system from the headers to the tail pipes. Sheese! BUT, it looks like we're definitely going to be done in the six week time frame. I know, I know, One Month Wonder. Oh well.

Technical Note:
The drivers side cowl has been a dilemma due to the adjustable vent that is a stock part of that panel. Replacement panels for that side don't have that adjustable vent, whereas on the passenger side, the louvered vent that is there on the stock panel is also there on the replacement panel. I haven't been able to find out why there are no replacement panels that include that adjustable panel on the drivers side. In any case, I purchased the replacement panel and Cole cut it off in order to allow us to keep that adjustable vent. Here's the funny thing about this, the replacement kick panel for that side DOES include the vented areas to accommodate the adjustable vent. Go figure.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #17]

07-04-2009 12:14 AM Test Flames
Cole primed the hood and I drew the flames with chalk. These are test flames only. I swear, I draw much better flames than these. These were just to give us a chance to experiment with colors and ideas about what we might want them to look like. I decided on the colors, the car is Metallic Blue Ice. The base colors for the flames are going to be HOK SnowWhite, Chrome Yellow, and Tangelo. Cole sprayed those colors on today. First he painted the flames and then on one side he taped the flames off and sprayed some of the blue so we could see what the flames and the base coat are going to look like. Here it is. We're happy with the color scheme and I'm now on to designing what the flames will really look like. Also, I'm going to try to air brush some realistic flames inside this type of west coast flame. We'll see. Enjoy the photos and come back soon to see how it all turns out. We've got exactly three more weeks in order to get this thing done and ready to go to Reno, NV for Hot August Nights! Ya Baby.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #16]

07-02-2009 04:05 PM Front Fenders
I ended up hiring a local high school student to do most of the grunt, initial sanding on the truck. It's worked out well. He's getting mentored into the world of hotrodding by Cole, the master hot rod builder, and he's making money learning. You simply can't beat that kind of situation. Posted are a couple of photos of the front fenders. There's been a lot of bondo applied to the fenders and hood and Cole is sorting what stays and what needs to go.

On a side note, I'll post photos of the test flames we're doing on the hood this afternoon, and probably tomorrow morning. I drew the flames out and Cole masked them off today. If it isn't windy he might spray the background colors for the flames this afternoon. Cool!


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #15]

07-02-2009 11:27 AM The Motor and Tranny Are In!!
Cole got the new mounts for the transmission and engine installed and the motor and tranny are now in. Of course we have to take them back out again, but hey! Everything fits and works! Here's a couple of photos of the motor in the chassis.

More Soon.

I'm drawing flames on the primered hood today!


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #14]

06-26-2009 10:41 PM Progress
The front fenders and the hood are sanded. Not ready for paint or anything, but ready to start the finishing stages. We're going to get the hood ready for paint and then primer it. Then we're going to layout and mask off some flames on it and have a test run at what we're going to do with the flames. The paint will be here in a week. A 2 stage paint kit from TCP Global, Metallic Ice Blue. Here's a photo of the fenders and hood in progress.


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #13]

Pages (16): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.