As stated in the opening posts of this journal, I inherited this truck from a life long friend that passed recently. I live in Oregon and the truck was in San Diego. I paid a transport company to bring it to me. I've posted two photos, one of the truck on the transport truck leaving San Diego to come here, and the other of setting the new 350ci motor and automatic tranny into the chassis to get it set up with the new motor and transmission mounts. It's coming along nicely.
Whenever someone is trying to do something like this on a budget, at least in my experience, the paint becomes a real problem when trying to keep costs down. Even if you, or someone you know, is going to paint it, materials alone for a "Nice" paint job can run over $1,000. I found paint from TCP Global for $85 a gallon. Can you believe that??? I bought it online in the hopes that it'll actually be something I can use. I read some customer reviews online and everyone that reviewed the paint had something decent to say about it. So hopefully it'll work and all I'll have to buy is the primer and the clear. It could work out though that the paint is just crap and I have to send it back and then we're back to the drawing board about what to do with the paint.
Post Script to this message:
I've learned even more about paint, and being a novice that is something that happens every day, I've learned that single stage paint can be okay stuff to use, it has certain advantages to it, but it doesn't appear that graphics can be applied and cleared on top of a single stage paint. The paint I bought is single stage. I think the price was good and I never read anything negative about the company, Hot Rod Restoration Paint Products, and if I wasn't intent on having flames on the truck we probably would have used the single stage. This paint thing keeps being a difficult situation to solve inexpensively AND a bit creative at the same time.
We're going to paint the interior at the same time, and the same color, as the exterior. It's almost sanded and coming along nicely. I purchased just about everything new from LMC Truck Parts, new door handles inside and out, new window cranks inside, new door dress up panels, new arm rests, new kick panels, I even bought a new ash tray knob! I'm taking the original speedometer apart with the intention of cleaning and painting the face of it. Hopefully it'll be something creative. We're using a steering column with the gear shift on the column, which eliminates the hump, or any obstructions on the floor, leaving plenty of room for the new Hot Rod Air heater/AC unit that is going in under the dash for temperature control. All in all it's coming along nicely. I also posted a photo of the new Chevy 350ci motor and the newly rebuilt and ready to rock and roll 350 turbo transmission. More soon.
Cole pulled the old rear end out, leaving most everything stock to be used with our new, and improved Chevy 10" rear end. He also removed four leafs from the leaf springs, and since we are going to put 15" wheels on, it will be lowered considerably while keeping most of the original suspension. Including the original shocks. They are so COOL! More photos of them to come as we get into the design and build of the custom flatbed. These are photos of the old tranny, and the new one installed. More soon!
Cole discovered a lot more rust than we first anticipated. I've posted a couple of photos of the passenger side cowel after the lower cowl panel had been removed in order to replace it. When Cole removed the panel he discovered all of the rust in the floor panels. The photos show the cowl and a close up of what we are dealing with in the firewall/floor/cowl areas. Shoot!
With one of these kind of projects it ALWAYS gets worse before it gets better. The interior of the truck needed to be gutted so the sanding and paint prep could be started. All of the dash pieces need to be cleaned. The glove box and trim on the dash are stainless so I'll be able to polish them up to look close to chrome. The interior will get painted at the same time the exterior does, and all the same color. Here's a photo of the interior apart, and getting sanded by a friend, Justin, that lives down the block. More soon!
I want to ad something, there is more rust on this thing than we first figured. The floor is in bad shape. We don't have the time, nor the finances to replace the entire floor panel. It's a lot of work and very expensive. We're going to wire wheel off all of the rust we can, and then use a product called "Rust Converter" that literally converts any rust it is sprayed on to primer. Hopefully it'll be good enough on those few places that can't be cut and replaced. It won't be pretty, but carpeting and kick panels will cover the ugliness of it once it's all done. The problem is that even with the limited fixes we're doing, it's still adding time to the project. Like I said in a previous post, this'll be the six week wonder rather than the one month wonder, and since I'm installing a heat/air kit it'll be closer to $9,000 when we're done rather than the $8,000 I originally figured. Oh well.