Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: One Month Wonder's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View One Month Wonder's profile Entries: 77
Views: 16266
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (16): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]

04-21-2009 04:38 PM The beginning
A buddy of mine passed in January. We've been friends since about 1967. He picked this truck up when he was 18 or 19, just a couple of years after we became friends. He's had it ever since, and it's always been his "Baby". I was fortunate enough to inherit it from him and as stated in the opening entry of this journal will endeavor to rebuild it and get it on the road again.

When I first got the truck I was fretting about where I was going to come up with the finances to rebuild it. I've just spent two years and tens of thousands rebuilding a 1939 Plymouth and my resources are at rock bottom. For my 60th birthday my wife and our roommate Cole, the master hot rod builder that will be doing the rebuild on the truck, gave me a jigsaw puzzle. When I put it together it was an old photo of the truck before it was in pieces. Across the top were the words, "Happy Birthday". I thought it was a pretty cool present. Then she gave me the birthday card that went with it in which she wrote that the card was good for one rebuild of the Chevy. Now that's a wife!!! Hence, the $8,000 cost limit. Here's a photo of the puzzle, me solving it, and the truck as it looked the day we put it in storage.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

04-21-2009 11:17 AM the one month wonder
I actually started this project as "the '49 chevy truck's journal"
However, I realized that this was going to be a special project for lots of reasons. The first is that we are going to try and complete the rebuild in one month. It'll probably be more like six weeks, BUT, we're going to give it a shot. Hence the name of the project. The other thing is that we are going to complete the rebuild for less than $8,000. Now, you have to understand that I inherited the 1949 chevy 3100 pickup from a lifelong friend that passed in January. He had been working on a frame up restoration and had gotten as far as the frame. So the suspension and chassis have all been rebuilt, painted, and ready to roll. So I don't have the expense of purchasing the starter vehicle, and I don't have to spend any money on the suspension or chassis. At the same time, we are changing the engine, transmission, rear end, drive shaft, and steering. We found a conversion kit that will allow us to use the stock front end, and convert it to power steering. It'll need a new steering column and some of the steering linkage will be replaced, but most of the stock steering will be kept. Also, the interior is only going to get a quick going over, meaning, paint, new seat cover, and reconditioning of the dash. I'll get one of those molded carpet things made to fit that cab and leave it at that. At some point in the future I'll have the interior of the cab professionally upholstered and carpeted. But for now, that isn't a part of the rebuild.

What we will do, as mentioned we're changing over to a chevy 350 small block v8, 350 turbo tranny, ford 9" rear end, and modified drive line. We're going to lower the truck a bit, and give it a new paint job. The paint is another thing I don't have to spend any money on. I have some paint left over from the last project that will work nicely on this one. It's white pearl, three stage paint, and we're going to add some yellow and orange to the white base to give it a mild tangerine coloring under the pearl. I'm going to attempt to air brush flames on the hood and fenders. We're not going to get anything chromed, instead anything that would normally get chromed, stainless steel on the dash, stainless steel trim around the sun visor, hood emblem, etc. is going to get painted black and then pearled on top of that. It's a great look and will suffice nicely in place of chrome and will save literally hundreds of dollars. This truck is going to be a daily driver, so I'm not so interested in creating something that needs to be towed to car shows, in fact this is the truck I intend to use to tow the '39 Plymouth to car shows in an attempt to sell it.

We've got to finish the '39 Plymouth first (ezinoregon's journal) and then we'll start on the chevy. So check back here somewhere around the middle of May and see if we can make the one month deadline!

OKAY! It's now the middle of August. We got totally waylaid by the '39 Plymouth and trying to get it to Hot August Nights (which we did!) and it killed the Chevy project for a while. We are now on track and have every intention of completing the project before the middle (actually the 2nd) of September. Lets see how we do!

[Entry #1]

Pages (16): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]