Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: One Month Wonder's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View One Month Wonder's profile Entries: 77
Views: 14758
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (16): 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

04-10-2010 08:26 PM The Grill Is On!
Things are moving pretty fast now. The grill, just like every other aftermarket piece we've used, DOESN'T FIT! Maybe it's because the patch panels are made for years 47 - 53, kind of thing. Anyway, the grill is in but is going to take some muscle to get it to fit right. We've also decided that we're pretty sure the right front of the truck got hit pretty good, the frame might be tweaked, or maybe just the right front fender. Since we didn't pre-assemble this thing first - duh - but we simply assumed that the fenders fit when they came off, why wouldn't they fit going back on? Well, when I got the truck the front fenders were strapped into the bed, along with the hood, and other assorted pieces. So, we'll have to muscle everything into place then bolt it down. Here's some photos of the grill and fenders.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #67]

03-28-2010 07:19 PM Rubbed Stake Sides
I decided that since this is a flat bed, and since the stake sides will be a major part of the truck, that I wanted them done very nicely. Not just varnished, or stained and varnished. I talked to a friend that makes wood signs, and asked him the best way to make wood look good. He said if I wanted it nice that I should hand rub it. I now know more about hand rubbing wood than I ever thought I'd know. Actually, I ended up enjoying the outcome and I've decided to build a tool box that will be bolted onto the bed near the cab and hand rub that wood as well. I was referred to this stuff called "Tung Oil". Tung oil is used in lots of applications and I found this brand by Daley's called Teak Oil. The first thing is that the wood to be rubbed must be sanded to a really smooth surface. I was told to end my sanding with 120 paper - I went to 220. Once the wood is sanded, using a clean, dry cloth, rub an even coat of oil across the entire surface. Wait fifteen minutes and then using 400 (I used 600 wet/dry) sand it again, letting the oil on the wood and the sanded material work together to form a slurry. This is the stuff that really gets down into the wood and seals it. After sanding wipe with a clean dry cloth and let dry for a minimum of 12 hours. Repeat this for the next application as well. Starting on the third application all you do is wipe the oil on and let it dry. They suggest a minimum of 6 coats. I did 8. The wood looks fabulous, and it's going to compliment the rest of the truck. Here it is sitting in the house waiting to go on the truck. Cole took a much needed two week vacation, so work won't actually start back on it until the second week of April. However, I'm working on the visor and will post photos soon.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #66]

03-20-2010 07:15 PM Cab is Done!
The cab is now officially done (well, I've still got to throw a coat of wax on it). BUT, it got cleared, and cut and buffed in the last two days. The flatbed is in the tent getting ready to get painted tomorrow. As soon as that's done we're ready to put the carpeting in the cab and put the inside of the door stuff together, including glass. The paint looks awesome. Tiny flecks of sparkle all over the place. Lots of depth. Great paint. We'll see how long it lasts, but for the price it's great. I purchased it from TCPGLOBAL. In Resotration paints, I got their deluxe two stage kit for about $250. That's a gallon of paint, a gallon of clear (I"m pretty certain it was a gallon) hardner, and smooth flow stuff. Everything you need to paint a car for $250! The last project I did I thought I had to have the "best" and went with a House of Kolors type three stage pearl white paint. It was a NIGHTMARE! You really have to know what you are doing with pearl, or metal flake, or whatever special effect it is. Get it wrong and the thing is all done and back together and you look at it in the sun and every piece looks like it was painted with a different color pearl. Anyway, We be happy at my house! We love this paint. More soon.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #65]

03-18-2010 05:50 PM Liights On
The electrical on the flatbed is all done and ready to go. All of the lights work, and here's a photo of them all on. Once Cole was done with all of the fabrication, which included stake pockets, braces for tie down cleats to bolt to, welding trailer fenders to the underside of the flatbed, he lifted it off the chassis so the cab can be cleared and cut and buffed, and also so the new metal of the flatbed can be primed and painted. Not long now!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #64]

03-16-2010 06:38 PM hood and fenders DONE!
Cole finished cutting and buffing the front fenders and hood today and they look MARVELOUS!!!
That guy does really fantastic work. I couldn't be happier. Only a few days now and this puppy will be running down the road. WOOHOO!!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #63]

Pages (16): 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16