Cole discovered that the king pins needed replacing. I figured we might as well do a disc brake conversion on the front brakes while we had the front end torn apart to replace the king pins. Cole discovered that the holes in the straight axle that the king pins fit in, have been worn wider around than they should be. He said I need to have someone bore out the opening and insert a steel/brass sleeve so the king pin will seat tight. He said I might also need new spindles. I started checking and it looks like it'll be another $500 - $700, depending on if I need new spindles or not. I decided to go ahead and put the thing back together and drive it. If it's too severe, or problematic, then I'll go ahead with the upgrade, otherwise, maybe I'll just be able to drive it like it is without it being a big deal. Only time will tell. Here's a shot of Cole working on the new brakes, a shot of the straight axle, completely broke down of all the brake components, and one of the new disc brakes, and the power steering conversion, that actually got in the way a little bit of the new disc brakes. When it's custom, EVERYTHING ends up needing to be tweaked! More soon! Cole says two weeks from now and it'll be running around on the streets.
The interior is nearly finished. Cole is busting butt to complete this thing soon. YAY! The seat belts are in, the stereo is wired, and insulation is just about in for sound deadening and keeping it warm and cool. Here's the photos. This thing is going fast now.
We're back to it after a three month lay off for the holidays. Funny how that kind of thing can get in the way. Cole has been working for about two weeks, but most of it was getting the wiring harness in, it's great to have it in and he does excellent work, but not too exciting. However, we've now hit a couple of milestones and have photos to prove it. Cole says two more weeks and it'll be running down the road. Woo Hoo!
Photos are of Cole working on wiring, and a photo of the dash. The interior is done and Cole says everything works. The insulation is going into the cab so the gas tank can go back in, so we can start the engine and hear this puppy run!!! Ya!
WOW! It's been a while. Yep, the one month wonder simply isn't. It isn't even going to be a three month wonder and all of the exuberance I had about proving that a good looking hot rod could be built for less than $10,000 and in less than a month has evaporated. The work on the truck stopped back three weeks before Thanksgiving and won't continue, probably, until after the 1st of the year. Even then, I don't have the money to finish the build. I'll need to gather finances to pay for: The flatbed construction, wheels and tires, custom exhaust, getting the AC charged so the AC/heat unit can be used. I think that's about the entire list of stuff I can't afford to do to the truck yet. Minor stuff actually when compared to the list of new parts and fabrication already done to the truck. Anyway, here's a photo of the hood and fenders with the flames penstriped. They look 100% better. I'll post again when the project starts moving forward again.