Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: One Month Wonder's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View One Month Wonder's profile Entries: 77
Views: 15663
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (16): 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

10-19-2009 07:58 PM more engine in
The AC/heat is in and wired and hosed. $5 a pop to get the hoses crimped into the fittings. Five bucks! Man, it was $60 just for crimping. The radiator is out and off to the radiator repair shop to make sure it's up to snuff. I'm hoping that there aren't any serious issues with it. The hood and fenders came back from the pin striper today. Fabulous! Photos to follow in the next entry. For now here's the engine getting wired and hosed.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #47]

10-14-2009 04:32 PM dash board assembly
The newly refurbished speedometer looks pretty good. The previous owner glued a small, plastic, toy rifle onto the needle plate and used it as the speed indicator needle. I decided to try and keep it that way, although there are indications the speedometer may need to be replaced. Here's Cole, the master hot rod builder, happy to see the project moving along pretty fast right now.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #46]

10-10-2009 07:20 PM Engines In
Cole got the chassis and the firewall painted and then installed the engine and transmission. It looks TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!
I'm extremely happy with how this truck is coming along and the results we're getting. I've started getting pretty excited about driving it around, cuz brother it's going to turn heads.. Wee HaH!!!

It's a small block 350. The guy I bought it from said it had 3,000 miles on the crank and bottom end and brand new heads. I bought an electronic distributor from him for it as well. I bought the 350 tranny from a guy that said it was working great when he took it out of the car it was in. An older guy with and affable smile and relaxed way about him. His son was there and we all chatted and I figured, "This guy wouldn't lie to me." I ended up taking to the local transmission shop. The guy there has been building/working on/involved with transmissions for about a hundred years and it took him about fifteen minutes to tell me there was no way that guy was driving anything down the block with that transmission in it. He said the tranny was shot that it would have been slipping all over the place. And I thought, "Wow, that old fart lied to me." But, I have to say, I don't mind paying $1,000 to have the thing rebuilt because I know the guy that did it is good and backs up his work. Here's a couple of shots. Another week and we're gonna be able to start it up.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #45]

10-07-2009 05:33 PM PinStripped Flames
Here's a shot of the fender with the pin striping, it's much, much better. If Brad hadn't been as generous with his time as he is I wouldn't have been able to get this done. He's a great guy, and a great artist. Check it out.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #44]

10-07-2009 05:29 PM The Tribute
I hired a friend of mine that is a pinstiper to do the lettering on the cab. As this project has progressed I've known that I wanted some kind of tribute to the former owner, a lifelong friend of mine, to be on the truck somewhere. I'd finally decided that it would the phrase, "Billy's '49" in some kind of script lettering. Here's a coupe of shots of Brad Johnson of Johnson signs in Corvallis, Oregon doing the lettering. THEN, while showing him the hood and fenders with the flames we struck a deal, he's very, very generous! and he's pinstriping the flames! Can you believe it?? More next post.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #43]

Pages (16): 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16