Here are a couple shots of the cab with the paint on. This was yesterday and after I took these photos Cole shot a layer of clear on it. It looks fabulous. Two photos here, one of each side of the cab. There is one with arrows. The arrows are pointed to the outer and inner cowls. Arrow 1 points to the outer cowl. The bottom half of that cowl had to be cut off and new patch panel welded on in it's place. Then the seam had to be ground down and once it was as smooth as Cole could get it, he had to fill it and smooth it. With the paint on you can't even tell he was there. That's the beauty of good body work, if someone doesn't tell you, you never know it was done. The funny thing is that replacement cowl panels don't have the vent in them that arrow two is pointing at. Had we simply replaced the entire cowl panel we would have lost that vent, hence the cutting and welding at the bottom instead of at the top. The red arrow points at the inner cowl. It is actually three pieces, and both the inner ones had to be replaced. While the panels were out Cole also replaced patches in the floor that had rusted out. There were also places on the kick panels that had been welded to the cowls. All of that shoddy work had to be cut out and replaced with proper replacements. It won't be but another couple of work days and the truck will start to go back together. A few engine components are still to be had, and some steering linkage is also needed. But for now, we're still moving forward.
Here's a shot of the finished product. The hood and fenders still need three coats of clear so they can be cut and buffed, but this is what they'll look like. I added a couple of photos of yours truly airbrushing.
I laid out some directions for the flames in red, then connected all of those licks together, then added the skulls, then highlighted and added more licks using a bright orange. I went back and did the detail work on the skull... Okay, here's the thing, I'm simply no good at close range, intricate stuff. I'm sure I'd improve if I worked at it hard enough, the other thing is I need a smaller tipped brush. SO, with that said, once the skull was finished I started using yellow to highlight, and then finished with white and a tangerine kandy on top of everything. Here's a couple of progress shots.
I posted a couple of shots of the hood and fenders masked, Here's a shot of the hood with the paper templates. We rubbed chalk on the back and then traced over the lines which left a chalk line on the surface. Then masked the lines. Then Cole sprayed the background gradient - the white to yellow to orange. The airbrushing comes next.
The hood and fenders are flamed! I'll post a few entry's to show how we got here, but I'm whipped from standing all day and didn't want to take the time to do all of that right now, BUT I'm so ramped up because of how good the flames came out. here's a couple shots of the hood and fender. More soon.