I have not been working here recently so it feels good to be back to this project. Had the Maverick rear end power coated and am fitting it. I am not sure how much movement I need but it seems 2 1/2 inches to 3 inches should do it. I thought about Z ing the frame to get more space. I want the old school highboy look so I think this is it. I reserve the right to change my mind.
I rolled the cardboard pattern onto a flat 20 gauge piece of steel. I do not have a roller so I drove over to the local welding shop, who has a roller, and ten minutes later I have a steel shape that I can use. The next job is to make it fit.
I bought a construction cardboard tube at the local home improvement store to use to make a pattern for my transmission tunnel. The tube comes in various sizes including the 12inch, which is correct for my application. I cut it up and pop riveted it together and now I have a pattern.
With the steering column installed now is the time to trial fit the steering shaft and u joints. The header is very close on to the frame rail here on the driver side. I first mocked up the shaft using wood dowels. That did not work very well for me. I finally had to make a decision as to the length and cut the stainless DD shaft to what I thought was the correct length. Good thing I had extra. I had to cut another one because the first one was too short. I used that one to cut another short shaft so all was not lost. In the second picture it looks like the shaft is hitting the header but it is not. See the third picture. The steering rack unit up to now has only been clamped in. I guess it is time to weld in the bracket so I can mount it. I will have some left over. Parts for the driveway sale...later.
Tac welded the lower steering column support. Mounted the drop and put it all together for the first time. Steering wheel feels good. The column drop is polished aluminum so any tool contact will leave a mark. The column is chrome so it is a bit more forgiving. Every thing fits as planned which makes me suspect. That was too easy. It only took the better part of three days to get this part fitted and installed. It is a trial fit however. Next I will trial fit the steering shaft.