I added the two down support tubes from the main hoop to the rear frame rails. I also added a couple bars from the side bars back to the main hoop. I then added some more bar and gussets behind the main hoop. I added gussets pretty much anywhere I could for some extra strength. I also mounted the bucket seats in the car to make sure everything was gonna work.
I removed my floor pans clear up to my firewall. I left the forward factory sheet metal support in place. I added another drive shaft loop right behind the factory support. I will bolt on the upper section in at a later date before I fabricate the floor boards. I used 1 inch box tubing and 3/4 inch round tube for most of the fabrication. I tied the factory support to the ladder bar front crossmember with box tubing. I also tied the frame section to the sub -frame connectors underneath. I used 1 3/4 tubing for the tunnel support pieces and 2x3 box as well. I wanted to make sure that if the drive shaft went kaboom there would be adequate steel in between me and the drive shaft.
I took some photos of the car sitting on the ground in my driveway. I had to do some work in the garage and decided it would be nice to see the car in the sunlight. If you haven't noticed already the sheet metal and the frame rails have become extremely rusted. That is because there is a three year span in between the fabrication of the frame rails and the fabrication/installation of the rear end. I had all the parts necessary but unfortunately life interfered with progress. I am very happy to be working on the project again. I still have a lot of fabrication of sheet metal and I need to finish up the roll cage. My goal is to have the vehicle ready for a trip to Gatlinburg in September. The paint might not be done but I am gonna drive it one way or another!
I have two sets of rims for the rear of my car. The first set has a backspacing of 3 1/2 inches. I mounted the Mickey Thompson sportsman tires on these. The other set has 5 1/2 backspacing and I mounted the slicks on them. I wanted to make sure that I had plenty of room in the fenders when those slicks were spinning! Here is a few photos of the tires and slicks. In the last photo I was starting the fabrication process of the wishbone.
I actually took a whole day off of work so I could weld up the rear end housing and the front ladder bar brackets. I used washers and bolts for spacers on the rear end housing to ensure that the brackets were installed true. I welded the brackets in stitch pattern one inch at a time. I would move from a coil over mount to a ladder bar bracket to another bracket on the opposite side and etc;. I took special care not to warp the housing. After the welding was complete I installed the new longer wheel studs into the moser axles. I hung the rear end in the car and confirmed that everything was still straight and square like it should be.