Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: MUSTISIXSTANG's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View MUSTISIXSTANG's profile Entries: 6
Views: 869
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (2): [1] 2

05-23-2010 11:28 AM Some DIY experiments
I am going to attempt to make my own adjustable strut rod, sub frame connectors and motecarlo bar. I would have tried my hand at the roller spring perches (dazecars) but I thought I was in a hurry so I bought em. Worst thing that can happen here is I waste some time and a few bucks (ok maybe not the worst thing, flaming death machine aside). I really want this car to be MINE so off I go into fabrication. A pic of Day's connectors, they look SOLID to me.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

05-23-2010 11:20 AM Ah... something positive...maybe
I found a guy just down the street (thanks Mr. Tom Lee for the parts and great discussion) that had an original 65 mustang 8" rear end with drums. I am never going to be putting 500 HP down the drive shaft but I am upgrading to 5 lug discs in the front so had to replace the rear. For $200.00 it looks very promising! Only time will tell if I saved any $$ but it is FUN to find the parts you need so close to home and in original condition!

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

05-23-2010 11:02 AM plan B....
Ok, so after reading, talking to my painter, and hours of back and fourth. Here is the plan.
Continue the dismantling
Get the new metal ordered and installed
Get the whole sha-bang soda blasted
A shot of epoxy primer everywhere
Then final body work
Here are a couple of shots of the fun.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

05-23-2010 10:57 AM oops! If I only knew what I didn't know
Again, the plan was a daily driver, so..... I spent HOURS with a wire wheel getting the old off and naval jelly to get the rust gone then good ole "piss can" primer. Gonna follow up with some black and maybe undercoating... good plan.... maybe not.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

05-23-2010 10:34 AM Parts on the way!
I want to drive this car everyday so I figured I better get the wheels on the ground. I was seconds away from ordering "offshore" parts when I stumbled on to Opentracker. Here is what I ordered:
1" drop template - Free
1/4" Poly coil spring insulators - $20
GT350 1" drop coil springs - $90
1 " front sway bar kit - $100
Roller spring perches - $175
Street Upper arms - $199
Street Lower arms - $160
Strut rod bushings - $30
Streering kit with roller idler arm -$239 ... minus outer tie rod ends ( in disc brake kit )
Center link - $59.95
Pitman arm - $74.95
KYB Front shocks - $80
Grab-A-Track rear shocks - $56
4.5 Mid eye 1" drop leaf springs with new U-Bolt, front eye bolt and rear shackle kit - $240
Rear shock plates / spring plates - $70pr.
Disc brake kit - $524

Subtotal: $2,117.90
Shipping: $282
Total: $2,399.90

The plan was to clean up the 45 years of rust and gunk can spray some primer and black then stick this gear on the front. The rear was going to be a little bit more work since the frame rails went from solid to "OMG I drove this car like this" in the last 14". So new frame rails are on the way and new tank and trunk steel while we are at it.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

Pages (2): [1] 2