This is a short pictoral of my pontiacs history. Shot 1 is on the transport trailer in goodyear az.
Pic 2 is a parking permit for 1969-1970 year at El Camino College in torrance Ca. My car went to school.
Pic 3 is the model number, it is a 2227 for a 2 door sedan(post) Le Mans. That crayon marking is original from the factory, I have heard that it is an important mark and some restorers go to great lengths to replicate this mark as.
Pic 4 is the trim tag . It indicates its build origin is KC ,MO.
I found a sticker that was painted over on the trunk lid that was from Watson truck and Auto sales in Hobbs New Mexico. I assumed it was sold as a used car in New Mexico. Watson also owned a pontiac dealer in Hobbs in the early 60s as well. I am assuming it was sold as new in Hobbs, then sold as used in Hobbs and probably went to california in 69.
Pic 5 is at home in Northeast Pa. This is the current shape of the car.It is completely driveable as it has been mechanically refurbished By myself.It was a hoot to remove bolts with a wrench and not a torch.
I put in new control arm bushings,upper and lower, the lowers were actually still in decent shape. One lower ball joint, new brake shoes,wheel cylinders and rubber hoses, and master cylinder.
The engine was just setting in there soit neded wiring, plumbed and some accessories and pulleys.
I have put power steering on it, but kept the manual brakes.It looks pretty original under the hood.
I have replaced the lower and upper windshield channel as they were rusted, the lower was availableaftermarket and fit vry well, the upper I had to fab myself, and to get it right took about a month before I could fully "skip weld" it in place. I used Duraglass over the sheet metal to smooth out the job so a new windshield could be eurethaned in place.
I have new B.F.Goodrich radials on 14 inch rallye II wheels that I got from a real good friend who took them off his car when new back in 1970.
I have a 65 389 that I am building for next spring. I have bored it and decked it to .000, forged internals and a few othe goodies are in the plans. I will have it ready in the spring for a weekend swap, and I will mothball the 350 that is in it as it is a solid engine, just in case .
I also put a Flowmaster dual exhaust on this summer. I have stock manifolds and will eventually upgrade to the ram air reproduction manifolds as they are almost as good as headers but without the hassle.
You can see it looks rusty underneath,but it is surface rust that I am going to finish adressing next spring.I had the trans tunnel sanded and painted before I put it together as I figured it would be tough to do after I had it installed.I had to replace the trunk floor as it was pretty mothy, however the braces were all very good.I cut them out and replaced them anyway, not sure why...LOL
The interior is pretty well wasted. The door panels are scetchy and would be drivers quality at best so I will run them for the time being. Ths winter I am going to focus on Reupholstering and repairing the framework of the front seats. Ihave the dash painted and the instrument panel has been painted and completlt refurbished and tested and works perfectly. I have installed a 65 FM AM radio also.
I have no tachometer, but have the rallye clock instead. I may look for an old steering wheel mounted sun tach to keep with the 70s period look of the car.
I also have the chrome console and floorshift for the automatic installed and it looks good.I also installed a brand new dark Blue dash pad from Pontiac years store and it looks great.
I plan on driving it next year, unfinished and unpainted, eventually working it up to the point where I can paint it as I have some dents and dings to repair and it needs to be completely sanded down to paint it. Maybe I should drive it to Florida and get my Bro to paint it for me.
The engine in the picture is the 350 that was in it when I bought it , it started right up after wiring and plumbing and some accessories.It runs good. I have an extra 4 barrel and intake, I may put on it just for fun when the 389 goes in.
I forgot to mention earlier that when I put in the control arm bushings I also put in new coil springs on all 4 corners.
I put these stainless tips on after the duals were finished. They came about a week afterwards.
You can see the areas that have some filler in them. The drivers door was replaced years ago and Earl Scheib must have painted it, as the car lot sticker on the trunklid was painted right over. This car is giving up its secrets pretty hard. Also the right front fender was replaced at one time as it is marimba red underneath.
The passenger side has a few scrapes and dings but only a few spots of filler that I can detect. Of course it will all need to be removed and refinished before paint gain.
Finally got a new gas tank, sending unit , sealing ring and seal.Straps too.Put it in last weekend. The original actually wasnt really bad, just some light surface rust , and a few dents. The filler neck was messed up where the cap went on, so instead of spending hours, sanding, repairing the neck, trying to pop dents...etc....a new unit was procured.
I got it from OPGI and that was a smart choice. The metal is as heavy gauge as the original, neck was soldered in tight,i am very pleased with the fit and look . It looks just like an OE tank. I also put on new straps and a new sending unit, gasket and sealing ring.
My thinking was not to waste time on the old one it would have been time consuming and costly to repair it. Not to mention the peace of mind a new tank gives.
Note the nifty plate frame.
Also last picture bump.