Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: chief36chevy's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View chief36chevy's profile Entries: 302
Views: 54819
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (61): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61

10-18-2013 03:46 PM Got the cab back from the painter
Wednesday I picked my cab up from my painter. I went with PPG Mack Blue and Dark Blue for the trim. Yes that is a vary dark blue it is not black. The fenders and running boards will also be Dark Blue.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #232]

10-11-2013 04:37 PM Rusted out bedside pocket cont.
After I got my patch panel made comes the hard part. I laid out for the cut, got out the heavy equipment, took a deep breath, and made the cut. After grinding and fitting and clamping and finally welding. A little grinding and some filler and it will be like new.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #231]

10-11-2013 04:34 PM Rusted out bedside pocket
Doing all this press work it made me think outside the box. I had the lower part of one of my pockets was rusted out and had been patched many times. I took some careful measurements and built a die to make a patch panel. The inside was 2” so I started with a piece of 2” square tube ¼” wall. A 5/16” bolt fit the inside of the two radii very well so I tacked two pieces of 5/16” rod and tack welded them to the square tube. The flat part was about 1/8” above the bottom of the tube a piece of 1/8 x 1 ¼” bar worked well. Now how to shape the out side? I had a piece of 3” u channel laying around and it fit good. I needed a piece of 3/16 x 1 ¼” bar to finish the out side. I got a piece of 16 gage steel placed it all in my press and what you know it worked. While it was still in the press I used some c clamps to finish the sides.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #230]

10-11-2013 04:31 PM Back to the bed
The rear sill mount brackets are badly rusted so I got a piece of steel I had laying around and made some. After measuring and cutting the pieces into shape I got another opportunity to use my press break. I marked and bent the sides and used a vice to make the end bend. Marked and drilled the holes then ready for paint.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #229]

10-11-2013 04:28 PM Boogered frame
I was trying to fit the bed to the truck and something didn’t seem right. I measured the frame and it checked ok. I checked on the diagonal and it checked out square. It showed no sign of bulging or warping and the rails were straight. I then got out my 4 ft level and wow it was an inch out of level. I checked the level at various places on the frame and found it to be gust off a little. So I started with my Kwiklift and leveled it in. Then started with the front of the frame and shimmed it until it was level (about 1/8”). Then to the center and shimmed it (again about an 1/8”). Finally to the rear and found it to be 1 ¼” out of level. I then cut a template of my frame rail and to determine where it was bent. After I found the point I placed a jack under the spot and cut the frame to the bottom rail. About half way through it pinched my reciprocating saw blade. I raised the jack a little and continued the cut. I then lowered the jack and found that the one saw cut took out about half the bend out. So I made another cut about half way through and Bingo I got it. Double checked the level of the rest of the frame and it was good. I then ground a bevel at the cut and welded it together. I added a diamond fishplate to the inside and a bowtie to the outside.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #228]

Pages (61): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.