Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: chief36chevy's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View chief36chevy's profile Entries: 264
Views: 31237
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (53): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

05-14-2012 05:48 PM Bed rebuild cont.
A quick test fit and off to get some primer before too much rust.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #124]

05-14-2012 05:46 PM Bed rebuild cont.
Since I had all those pop rivet holes I drilled them out to and added some additional holes. This panel had the lower edge removed so there was no lip for the floor boards. I cut I piece of 1 by 1/16 wall to length and split it to an angle. If you have ever split square tube you will know that it will bend on you. I used my shrinker /stretcher and straightened it out. (No photos on this I will add photos when I do the side angles. The same thing happened to them.) I got every C clamp I had and clamped everything to my welding bench and welded it all together.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #123]

05-14-2012 05:45 PM Bed rebuild cont.
I then got out the grinder and went to work. This guy had applied Bondo to both sides .


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #122]

05-14-2012 05:43 PM Bed rebuild cont.
Next I moved to the front panel. I noticed that when I removed the plywood floor that a piece of Bondo had broken off the front panel. I removed the panel and found a mess. I noticed that there was two layers of metal and thought that it was not right. I got out my gasket scraper and started to pry the two apart. When I got to the pop rivets I fired up the air compressor and dragged out my air hammer with a panel cutter and went to work on the pop rivets. When I got the two separated I found that the former owner had applied Bondo right over the rivets. Thus I had a of Bondo to remove.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #121]

05-07-2012 07:18 PM Bed rebuild
I then started to work on the bed. The original bed had four sills with a big gap between the front and the next sill. So I added one by bolting a plate on each frame rail and welding an angle iron to them.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #120]

Pages (53): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.