Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: chief36chevy's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View chief36chevy's profile Entries: 254
Views: 28611
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (51): 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

10-11-2013 04:31 PM Back to the bed
The rear sill mount brackets are badly rusted so I got a piece of steel I had laying around and made some. After measuring and cutting the pieces into shape I got another opportunity to use my press break. I marked and bent the sides and used a vice to make the end bend. Marked and drilled the holes then ready for paint.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #229]

10-11-2013 04:28 PM Boogered frame
I was trying to fit the bed to the truck and something didnt seem right. I measured the frame and it checked ok. I checked on the diagonal and it checked out square. It showed no sign of bulging or warping and the rails were straight. I then got out my 4 ft level and wow it was an inch out of level. I checked the level at various places on the frame and found it to be gust off a little. So I started with my Kwiklift and leveled it in. Then started with the front of the frame and shimmed it until it was level (about 1/8). Then to the center and shimmed it (again about an 1/8). Finally to the rear and found it to be 1 out of level. I then cut a template of my frame rail and to determine where it was bent. After I found the point I placed a jack under the spot and cut the frame to the bottom rail. About half way through it pinched my reciprocating saw blade. I raised the jack a little and continued the cut. I then lowered the jack and found that the one saw cut took out about half the bend out. So I made another cut about half way through and Bingo I got it. Double checked the level of the rest of the frame and it was good. I then ground a bevel at the cut and welded it together. I added a diamond fishplate to the inside and a bowtie to the outside.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #228]

09-28-2013 04:35 PM Bed prep
While Im waiting for my cab I started on the bed. I modified the rear sill to install the license plate pocket. My tail gate was so beat up and warped I decided to go with a new one. I opted for a 39 tailgate with the Chevrolet in script on it. I will be using the stainless steel strips with hidden fasteners. I eliminated the side angles and welded angle steel that will be sandwiched between the floor boards and the cross sills with a hidden fastener strip on top along the bed side. I had some issues with my rear calibers rubbing the side of the bed so I cut a notch and reinforced it with an angle that I bent with my stretcher.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #227]

09-28-2013 04:33 PM Cab ready for paint
Ok I shot myself in the foot. I bought some paint off of eBay and after screwing up the paint job I called a buddy of mine and he agreed to paint it if I used all PPG products. They say hind sight is 20-20. So I removed all the paint, primer, and filler down to bare metal and started over. I got it primed with epoxy primer filler more primer more filler and so on. I finally got it ready and took it to my painter.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #226]

09-23-2013 04:01 PM License plate holder
I wished I had a nickel for every time I have walked by the rear of my truck and caught my license plate. I decided to move it to a better place. I got a plate pan and some sheet steel and went to work. I cut a pocket in my rear bed sill. I fitted the plate pan in this pocket so that it would be flush with the rear of the sill. I cut the sheet steel on a diagonal and bent it in my press brake. I then tacked it all together so it is flush with my rear sill.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #225]

Pages (51): 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.